No strength in arm all of a sudden, can’t lift above head, any idea what’s going on?

Posted , 7 users are following.

At the start of October this year I started a new job, plastering. I’ve never been used to lifting heavy stuff or working my muscles, gradually over time I noticed my right arm, which is my stronger side, wouldn’t allow me to put pressure, for example little things like squeezing a shampoo bottle, I struggle to hold my arm straight above my head without my body swaying to the side, Even just basic tasks around the house, like lifting a kettle, I have tried fighting through it but my arm physically will not allow me, My Left arm is completely fine, it’s strengtened loads, whereas the right arm looks smaller than when I started. It’s fustrating me as I can’t find anything online where someone has a similar problem. I have until the end of January next year for it to improve or I will lose my apprenticeship, can anyone help?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Morty99, the symptoms you are describing are not uncommon. It usually affects only one arm and contrary to your case it is more likely to affect the non-dominant arm. The feeling that you have no power and that your motion is restricted is often caused by an inflammation and tightening of your tendons or the shoulder capsule. 

My advice would be to make an appointment as soon as possible with an osteopath (or get a referral from your GP). They will measure your range motion and your muscle power and might order an x-ray or ultrasound scan.

After it becomes clear what is wrong you will likely be given exercises and stretches and/or physiotherapy or massages. In some cases, a steroid injection or hydrodilatation might help speed up your recovery. With the proper care, you should see some progress by the end of January (although it might take considerably longer to make a full recovery). 

• Posted

I meant to say: They will measure your range of motion and your muscle power and might order an x-ray or ultrasound scan.

• Posted

I meant to say: They will measure your range of motion and your muscle power and might order an x-ray or ultrasound scan.

• Posted

I have the same or similar problem problem range of motion in both arms weakness in right arm unable to live over shoulder
  • Posted

I am facing same problem.I went to see a GP he reffered me to neurologist But he is not available until feb 2019.I am worrying about my arm too much please If anybody has get rid of this problem tell me how.

Thanks

• Posted

There may be chances that you are lacking muscle boosting nutrients in the body. To regain your muscle strength, you can use some natural muscle building supplement. This will enhance the muscular strength in an effective way. Prepared from natural ingredients, this is very much safe to use provided you do not have any other health issues. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.