NO SYMPTOMS

Posted , 11 users are following.

I was diagnosed with paroxysmal AF in Jan 2025 and put on Warfarin 3mg daily. Heart scan normal. No underlying causes. I've had 2 ECGs since then, both normal. Years ago when I had bad palpitations I was given propranolol to take as and when required, which worked. I am not on any other prescribed med for AF but on the odd occasion when I feel palpitations I take propranolol and it seems to do the trick.

I've read on this forum some truly awful experiences with AF and I can't identify with it. My INR is stable at 2.5 and last visit to the nurse she suggested I discuss with my GP as whenever she takes my pulse it is steady.

Just wondering if I actually have AF or just occasional palpitations. I would appreciate to hear from anyone similar to me?

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Chrstine - paroxysmal AF can be very minor and episodic. You might not know its there. But and there is a but there is every possibility of the AF getting worse over time as mine did. Your nurse should know better, paroxysmal AF means its not present all the time so yes your pulse will be ok most of the time. An anticoagulant is necessary to stop stroke. If you manage to keep a stable INR of 2.5 youre very lucky. Mine was so difficult to keep on an even keel the GPs put me on on Dabigatran.... bliss!  I had felt as if I was on a giant eleastic band to the GPs surgery. I did resist an anticoagulant for many years when the eposides were infrequent and minor.... but what you do is all about your own perceptions of risk....
    • Posted

After a Holter monitor my cardiologist said I could come off my bloodthinner. But then the only episodes of severe tachycardia and the one where they said I was in afib were after taking Cipro. They said it was because my T-SHIRT was too low but it had been low for years with no problems at all.
    • Posted

Stupid spellcheck!!! Should say TSH.
    • Posted

Haha. I was trying to figure out why I had t heard of the t-shirt test. Good laugh for the day!!

Carol

• Posted

It's anot antibiotic of the fluoroquinolone class. It can cause adverse reactions involving different body systems including cardiac. I would strongly recommend avoiding it unless at death's door with no alternative.

• Posted

Me, I think. They first tell me I have SVT, then the drugs were not good for a year, I kept rattling. Next year they tell me I have AF, give me Amiodarone one daily.So as I have had no episodes for more than a year now I cut the Amio in half ( has worked for 4 months) and next I wil cut it into quarters and see what happens. I refused the Warfarin. I have no faith in doctors whatsoever.  Good luck.
    • Posted

Amiodarone is the most dangerous drug prescribed. It works well but the side effects can be horrendous.
    • Posted

I thought twice about the warfarin but decided I'd better do as advised. 

It's a complicated condition 😄

• Posted

Yes I remember you said this last year and this is why I am trying to cut right down - Thankyou, 
  • Posted

Christine,

Like you I was diagnosed with PAF inn 2012 and immediately put on Flecainide and Warfarin.  I suffered frequent attacks for about a year but my heart seemed to 'settle down' and now I get an episode perhaps once/twice ayear - I haven't had one since Dec 2015.  My cardiologist, at a recent check-up, told me that there was no evidence of AF but don't stop taking the medication.  My INR is stable at around 2.2 and my blood is only checked every few months now!  My pulse is also stable at 65-70.

I count myself lucky that I don't experience the symptoms I see on this forum.  PAF seems a strange condition that never goes away but can be controlled by medication.  I have  asked a number of times about stopping the drugs but get the same answer each time - no-one knows what causes it and no-one knows how to cure it but the drugs seem to do the job (in my case at least!).  BTW I have also given up caffeine and only drink alcohol in moderation.

• Posted

I know there are diff types of AF but even the PAF I read about on here seems miles away from what I experience. At first I hated the idea of being on warfarin but it feels almost like a safety net now!

Was never one for caffeine but I like a gin or glass of wine.

• Posted

I have had 3 episodes of PAF in 2 years and have no medications at all, except carry around a pill in the pocket, being bisoprolol . I am not called for bloods, tests, have no blood thinners, nothing, which suits me! All 3 times I have had to have drugs to get me back in rhythm at hospital, but I am not checked on at all. I am told that if episodes become more frequent then I MAY have to have regular meds, but nothing yet. My episodes were 11 months and 4 months apart, none now for a further 5 months, but still I am told I have Paroximal Atrial Fibulation, so have to live with it.

hope this helps!

• Posted

Bisoprolol is a beta-blocker.  These medicines work by affecting the body’s response to some nerve impulses, especially in the heart. As a result, bisoprolol slows down the heart rate and makes the heart more efficient at pumping blood around the body.

I only have to take one if I go PAF and can't come back to regular rhythm

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.