no symptoms

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a CT scan the other day for GI problems but I've just been casually told I have a problem with my lungs and it's bronchiectasis. I have no symptoms at all. I would consider my lung function to be very good for my age (71). Is it possible to have bronchiectasis with no symptoms?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Same with me    Doctor hear a wheez and sent me for Ct scan.    Was told I had scars in lung that collect phelgm     Feeling fine.   I do cough up phelgm now and than
  • Posted

I have ulcerative colitis (have an ileostomy because of it) and after a CT scan the radiographer identified 'subtle' bronchietasis. I have struggled with a chronic cough and recurrent chest infections for years but my lung function was always supra normal. I've been fobbed off for years because my lung function is so good! I am however now being treated for esonophillic bronchitis. GI and lung problems are in some cases linked. Hope you stay symptom free.

• Posted

Hi Sue. I learned I had bronco the same way. I was having problems with bloating. I had a CT Scan and GI doctor asked if I had lung problems. My answer was no. That was three years ago. Thinking back I would be out of breath when exercising but thought it was because I was a little overweight. I had pneumonia in 2015 which made it worst. It took a while to recover. Now I make sure I use the inhalers, mucinex, allergy pills and spray every day. Prior to 2015 I didn't have to use the inhalers. I had bronchitis earlier this year. The winter months are my worst time. I'm 61 years old.

• Posted

Thank you all... so it does sound as if you can have it without knowing – I suppose I get out of breath if I climb more than 50 stairs! – but doesn't everyone? I wish I'd never had the CT scan, I'd be happier not knowing, because I assume it will eventually get worse and I will get symptoms. Same with osteoporosis – if I hadn't been silly enough to fall over and break my arm 6 years ago I'd have no idea I have it, and wouldn't be worrying all the time. Ditto high cholesterol!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.