No Symptoms

Posted , 8 users are following.

I  have no symptoms with  my gallstones.   Is it  better

to  leave  well alone  or have my gallbladder  taken  out  ?

Reading the  posts  on here it sounds  like  a  good  idea  to  leave it in !

So confused  about  what  to  do. 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I had no symptoms at all apart from a brief bout of cholecystitis which prompted an ultrasound showing a large gallstone. During surgery a few months later, it was found that my gallbladder was severely infected and if left could have caused serious problems, potentially fatally. I would recommend you get it taken out. 
  • Posted

Hi Linda,  I was told that there are literally thousands and thousands of people walking around with gallstones that don't cause them any problems.  It's only when they start causing you any pain or discomfort that you need to do something about it.  Once I had my first attack, the next one didn't occur for another 4 months.  After that it was every three weeks.  I was told that things were only going to get worse for me.

So, I guess in answer to your original question, I would leave things alone unless you start getting any symptoms.  

• Posted

Apparently up to 20% of people have gallstones but they just don’t know about it as it doesn’t cause any issues. I’d leave well alone! If they start to cause issues then yeah I’d get it out but until then I wouldn’t do anything. Was this just an incidental finding when being scanned for something else? xx
  • Posted

Hi Linda as someone else has already said alot of people have gallstones and they never cause any problems and its only when they start to cause problems is it necessary to have the gallbladder removed. My mum has gallstones and has never had any problems and she's in her 80's, I'm in my 40's and unfortunately my gallbladder wasn't functioning properly so I had to have it taken out..

If its not causing you problems then leave it in as there isn't a reason to take it out as its not causing any problems. Some people do put it off until they start to get worse symptoms on here and then its normally because the pain becomes unbearable.

At the end of the day its your decision and no one can make that for you, I'm afraid.

Let me know what you decide x

• Posted

You need to discuss this with mr. Garcea, Linda, or one of his team. There must be a reason they want you to have the surgery. NHS doesn't usually fund unnecessary surgery.

As someone has said, leaving it in can be risky. 

I know the though of surgery is very scary but sometimes you just have to take the plunge.

• Posted

Hi. Different scans for another matter showed multiple gallstones but they didn't cause a problem. Until one night I had violent indigestion which lasted until the next afternoon. Dr sent me for blood tests and the liver results were 'deranged!' Into hospital and the symptoms disappeared. Of course. But the surgeon said it would probably happen again, so out it came. So you could go for ages with no symptoms, but if they occur you might have to have it out. This probably doesn't help you much, but it's just my experience. I have the stones in a jar on display at home. Good luck.

• Posted

I  can't believe  this   but I  woke  up this morning  sweating  and  have

awful  acid  reflux  .  I  had to  take   peptac   and  a  pantoprazole  ,   still  got   acid.

Looks like I will be having  my gallbladder  out  after all. .

I  am  really  scared  as feel  very weak   from   lack  of  food,   can't  remember  when 

I  last  had  a  proper  meal..    Does   acid reflux  go after gallbladder   is out  ?

I  get a lot of " burning  " type  pain  low down   in  my  stomach,   is it possible  this

could be due to the gallbladder    ?    

Thanks for all your replies.  

• Posted

Sounds like you've a lot of acid. Ask hospital to give you Omeprazole after your surgery. I had it and have had few problems. Now don't take it at all. X

• Posted

I  can't  take Omeprazole  as it interacts   with  one of  my  other medications.

I  take  Pantoprazole.     

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.