no symptoms now do I need to take my immune suppressing medicine

Posted , 8 users are following.

My blood tests show a high level confirming ra, however I am not having any symptoms, do I still need to take the methotrexate?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

If you have no symptoms, what induced you to take the tests?
  • Posted

there are some conditions that can raise RA levels but you not actually have RA.... But if it is proven you do starting medication can stave off further damage that can occur.
  • Posted

Hi Terri

i don't think we have enough info here. Did you use to have symptoms and now they ve stopped after using the methotrexate? Or is this a first diagnosis? - which would be strange as rheumies use not only blood tests but clinical symptoms of stiffness, swollen and painful joints- and maybe some joint destruction already appearing for an initial diagnosis.

So I m assuming you mean you currently have no symptoms even though you have had in the past. When is your next appt? If you are in remission they will likely reduce your mxt  and monitor. Yes eventually stop it if all still well.i do know someone who was so improved that mxt no longer needed and they re still fine.

Don't be afraid to ask  your rheumy questions if something doesn't add up. Hope this helps.

• Posted

This doesn't follow how I was diagnosed and put on methotrexate.  I had to have swelling and pain along with the high numbers on the blood test.  I don't like taking the methotrexate but it is better than the pain and further joint damage.  If you are not seeing a rheumatologist I would try to find one.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.