No they're saying worry about the valve more than the aneurysm

Posted , 4 users are following.

Eight years ago I was diagnosed with an aortic aneurysm 4.2. It's  currently 4.8.  I get checked every six months.  I am on high doses of blood pressure medication.,   Which pretty much keeps me in the normal range. Also medication for atrial fib. Obviously it's been growing very slowly. Recently I went to a clinic with they said now they're more concerned about the valve. Information was provided to me by the  clinic, who in the same breath told me that the Mayo  clinic feels that they are too aggressive,  with regard to surgery    They feel that a possibility that the aortic valve,  instead of being tri-leaf, now may be fused.  I have no symptoms. No shortness of breath no chest pain low back pain I feel completely normal. Obviously my fear is the surgery- having aorts and valve replaced.  Anybody that has had this operation, input would be appreciated... thank you 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I've sent you a PM as it contained a link that I cannot post here.

• Posted

I am in exactly the same position as you Larry. Growing aneurysm, bicuspid valve with absolutely no symptoms.

The prospect of that surgery when I am well fills me with dread. 

Derek If their is anything in that link which you have pm to Larry that may help me please can you pm it to me.also.

Thank you

• Posted

Thanks for the reply noreen, I've not seen any PM, but will be going for a 3rd opnion mid Sept. I shall see what this surgeon things, but ask a surgeon, get a surgeon answer.. 

• Posted

Hi Larry, I have a bicuspid valve, which is where two leaflets fuse together. I was advised this runs in families and I was born with the condition. That is why at 61 Yrs. I found out I have a heart murmur and a large aortic root aneurysm.

Here, they like to do surgery when the aneurysm is 4.7 to 5.2 cm. Mine is larger and I have been waiting for a surgery date since April. My blood pressure was high and my heart started racing and not slowing back down within 5 minutes. I am winded by a flight of stairs or by walking a 1/4 km.

I hope you will find the right surgeon who will look after you well. Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi Deb, thank you for responding, wow that is a long wait... when you say "here" are you in the UK? I am based in the US. I do not get winded when I dance, oor walk, etc. In the US "the" usually wait to 5.0-5.0 although they keep changing the criteria... I wish all the best, I know the waiting is hard. Take care and best of luck on what I am sure will be a great outcome...

• Posted

Hi Larry, I am not in UK. I am in Canada. Our wait times are crazy. The hospital where I will have my surgery has one of the lowest wait times for cardio vascular...thankfully.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.