No Urolift on British NHS

Posted , 5 users are following.

For everyone in Britain: I have found no NHS trusts that carry out the Urolift procedure. I was quoted £5,800 to have th operation done privately.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Well John I had a Urolift on the NHS. I believe there are many that do it
    • Posted

Mike,

I'm pretty desperate. Where did you go? I'd like to see if I qualify. Can you let me have details? I'd be very grateful. I was told that there may be some NHS trusts that do it but that you would have to live in their area. Certainly none in my part of the world.

• Posted

Mike, I'd be grateful if you would tell me who and where they are.
  • Posted

Hi Mike, where did you have it done?

What was the result?

Please tell us about it.

Best,

Chris.

• Posted

Well John, you can just Google Urolift on NHS to get info.  There are other threads on this site for example:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/where-to-get-urolift-procedure-in-uk--449954

I had mine done at Frimley Park Hospital.

There are lists of practitioners on the Urolilft site (but they include private)

I documented my initial bad experience on this site:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/urolift-my-experience-75gm-prostate-7-tags-454757

I need to update that sometime. 

Briefly I am still having some issues but haven't given up yet.  Perhaps something is wrong with one of the tags, and I am paying for (!) a private cystoscopy to look see in the new year.

• Posted

Mike, I have trawled the sites. The only hospital I can find that does Urolift on NHS is in Bolton. I've tried talking to doctors on chat sites and they can't help. They just don't know. Couldn't you just tell me, and the rest of us? Or do we have to bludgeon our GPs into a referral? 
    • Posted

John, I told you in my post above that I had it done at Frimley Park Hospital.  I would be very surprised if there were not more trusts on the NHS, but either I do the research for you or you do it yourself eg by looking at the Urolift web site as I suggested.

And yes you probably will have to bludgeon your GP into a referral.  I did. Is that not the system here?

• Posted

Tnanks Mike, sorry to be a bother. Just had confirmation from Bolton that they do not carry out Urolift on the NHS because it is a new technique. Is Frimley Park the one near Higth Wycombe? I would try there. if ther was a chance I'd bludgeon my GP.
    • Posted

Hi John

I replied but included a link to the hospital web site and the reply is awaiting moderation.

Frimley Park Hospital is perhaps surprisingly in Frimley.

Best of luck

• Posted

Mike,

Yes, I found Frimley Park in Surrey I do believe (there is a Frimley Park near High Wycombe so that's why I was confused)  But when I called they had all gone home. So I left my query with their Media Department and was advised to call back at about 11am tomorrow. I suspect you must live in the area before they will offer you treatment. I live in South Lincolnshire. I'll let you know.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.