No weight gain on Mirtazapine

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all helpful people, is there anyone here who did not put any weight on Mirtazapine or weight gain was minimal? I have been on Mirt for a month and I know I will stay on it for a few months before I can taper down. I am very strict with my diet at the moment  and have been exercising a lot to help ease of my depression and  so far no weight gain. I hope it will stay this way.... 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi I hope it will stay this way for you.  Unfortunately for me I have gained weight which has made the depression worst so am hoping to stop taking it with medical supervision.  I would say that I cannot exercise much due to mobility issues so I hope for you it will not prove to be weight gaining.  Good luck.
  • Posted

I didn’t have a lot of weight gain but I had horrific anxiety so that why I couldn’t eat I’m off mirtazapine now been off it eleven weeks and so far so good 
  • Posted

I have never had a problem with my weight. I gained about 20 pounds over the 3 years I've been taking it and I have also lost some of the weight gain.

• Posted

I seemed to gain no weight on the lower dose but that may have just been a lag in absorption. I was determined to keep my weight down, like you. No weight gain starting on 15mg Dec, rising to 30mg in January and 45mg by mid Jan. Still no weight gain February, but began to notice it creep up in March. By the end of May I had gained 4kg/about half a stone. I felt utter loathing for myself. Couldn't bear to go out, let alone the gym. All that work, only to come off. I regret it entirely. I tapered down in the same way from 23rd March; 45-30-15. Taking my last dose 4th May, and my weight has continued to rise. I was 76kg when I began. I'm 80 now - my stomach is quite uncomfortable. I stuck to a lower calorie count, eating one main meal, though I did start with toast each day (I just can't give toast up). I don't eat chocolate, cake or processed food (I'm a qualified PT, so I know the maths/BMI). And though I have been terminally lethargic throughout it all, it still doesn't explain where it pulled calories from. I'd be interested to hear how it pans out for you. Good luck.

• Posted

I was on mirtazapine for 3 weeks and came off it because, in spite of eating healthily and doing a moderate amount of exercise I started to rapidly put weight onto my belly. This made me more depressed and anxious so I stopped taking it.  I stopped abruptly, without tapering down, which I know is not a good idea.  I did not get the food cravings that other people report on mirtazapine, nor did it make me lethargic.  It did make me sleep well.  Before I started to take mirtazapine I had lost a lot of weight (about 3 stone) through healthy eating and exercise in about 4 months.  A lot of weight had come off my belly, so this increase in belly fat due to the drug has upset me.  One of the reasons I was prescribed the drug was that I suffer from body dysmorphia, so it was not a good choice of drug for me as it has made my condition worse and made me very paranoid about what I eat. I am at a loss as to where the extra calories came from too.  My weight only went up fractionally (a few pounds) but the increase in the belly fat (all over the abdomen really) has been marked.  Even my husband could see this. I think the drug caused weight loss from other areas of my body (boobs, lean muscle mass, face etc) and dumped it on my tummy as fat.  It did this extremely quickly. Other areas of the body have got thinner!  Mirtazapine can cause severe cravings for carbohydrates which can cause people to put on stones in weight quite quickly.  But even those who moderate their food intake (even those who cut their calories) and exercise report an increase in weight, often as belly fat.  Medical studies have shown that,  mirtazapine  DOES increase weight, body fat and blood cholesterol (irrespective of diet).  It is unclear why it does this - but some think that it slows the body's metabolism and alters the way that insulin behaves in the body, making it grab more carbs from the blood and quickly storing it as fat.  Some people have reported that they can control the weight gain by eating a low carbohydrate diet and doing a lot of exercise.  Those who control their weight by reducing calories report having to cut calories further as time goes on.   Mirtazapine it seems can be very useful for people who really need to put on weight.  It is good for anxiety, insomnia and severe depression, but you have to weigh the benefits against possible weight gain (and in some people this gain is negligent), the adverse effects to your health of carrying the extra weight and whether putting on weight will adversely effect your mood.  

• Posted

I have to add, that in all fairness,the increase in belly fat in my case might be a result of the peri-menopause, which can make you put weight on around your middle.  I don't want to put people off the drug because it is very effective and not everyone puts on weight on the drug and others report that they can manage any weight gain easily and even lose weight on the drug.

• Posted

I was on mirtazapine 7.5 for 8 months gained 20 pounds....

tapering off now can’t take the weight gaining side effect 

• Posted

You're doing all the correct things to manage your depression and diet so weight gain may not be a problem. I have been on 30mg for about a year and a half and keep my weight under control with diet and exercise. 

• Posted

I gain 8 kg in the first 3 months. BUT I lost it all easy peasy. And after a year on mirtazapine, I’m lighter than before I started the drug. I No longer have increased appetite and i’m No longer sedated as well :-) 

So... It can be done. But damn I ate a lot in the beginning :D

• Posted

My appetite has settled down now too and I'm not gaining anymore weight.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.