No white areas, just itching, soreness and inflammation. LS?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I haven't had a biopsy yet, although my GP thinks it is 'highly likely' it is LS.  I'm using Clobederm every night and go back to my GP on 5th January.  I seem to have reached a plateau - the inflammation has cleared up a lot over the past two months and the itching has stopped, but I am still left with red patches on the sites of the worst inflammation.

However, I haven't seen any white areas at all, just the inflammation.  Is this common with LS?  Do you have to have white ares if it is LS, or do white areas appear if the disease isn't treated?  A little confused about this, especially as I haven't, as yet, had a biopsy.  That may well be next.   

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

No white patches for me either! My gyno just said she saw a series of almost tiny cuts because skin was so sore. I went back after 6 month tackling it with steroid cream, coconut oil and dermol lotion and she didn't even have to check me out, she just said sounds like you've got a handle on this, no need for a biopsy, if anything changes come back but you'll always have bad times. Just look like for significant changes down there or coloured patches etc. So I said great and waved her goodbye! Not everyone has all the symptoms and sometimes you just manage with some interventions and that's your life with LS.

• Posted

I was same way. Never seen any white. Just red and sore with little bumps or cuts. First gyno thought it was herpes. He biopsied twice with no answers. LS never came up until I changed gynos and had a 3rd biopsy.
  • Posted

I didn't see white spots either.

I suggest that you moisturize the whole area. You can make a choice of coconut oil or Aquaphor or whatever you like at times when you don't have steroid applied. It has been very helpful with my problems.

• Posted

I did have white areas though I was shocked and had no idea there was a problem. Maybe that is how my doctor so quickly diagnosed LS. I'm hoping not to have to go through a biopsy. I was diagnosed last week and am still reeling. But this site has saved my sanity. Wow, Charlotte, three biopsies!! That must have been terrible. Im sorry.

Did your doctors tell you to always continue the steroid to avoid a risk of cancer? The video on this site expresses that strongly so I'm not sure what I'll do. I wish you all well. Thank goodness you had good doctors who caught it early!

• Posted

Thank you all so much for your replies.  It's interesting that only some people have white areas.  I am using a moisturiser, Mary, and it certainly has made me feel more comfortable.

I'm not worried about having a biopsy.  If I have to have one, so be it.  At least I'll be 100% sure what the problem is and set about managing it.  I agree with you, Sophie, that that is the way to go.  I was a little unsure about steroids, too, Willow.  I did ring the surgery back when I obtained my first prescription and saw that the leaflet said not to use the cream on the genitals!  However, the nurse practitioner I spoke to was very reassuring and told me that it was OK.  This was Betnovate.  Since then, I have been prescribed Clobederm in a stronger dosage and have used it religiously.  I'm determined to keep it under control and, if that means using a steroid cream, then that's what I'll do.  Rather that, than cancer!

Thanks again and I wish you all well.

• Posted

That's the way I'm feeling too, Cheetah, about the steroid. But I'm also doing the borax which seems to be helping immensely.

• Posted

FYI. When I had a biopsy many years ago the dermatologist took sample from area where hair grows not the vulva area where the itch was located. The results were non conclusive. I choose not to have biopsy of vulva now because my gyno is sure and so am I after researching vulva disorders.

The internet information is so valuable in finding info.

I am still skeptical about the recommendations on this site about using Borax, and will be talking to my gynecologist next month about all treatments in addition to Clobetasol.

So happy to share with others on this site.😌

• Posted

I was just diagnosed via biopsy on vulva with LS.  In some ways it was a relief that I finally knew what it was.  I've been dealing with this for awhile and have always been told I have a yeast infection.  I have red inflamed areas and white area where right labia is actually fused. So in answer to your question I have both. Ive been treating with Clob for nearly three weeks and have experienced slight improvement.  But what hurts the most is the biopsy site.  Didnt bother me at all the first two weeks then I started getting the burning pain every time I urinated.  Horrible. Its been 7 days of the burning.  I wish you l

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.