Nobody has been able to help me

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm a 23 year old female medical student and my life is slowly being ruined by repeated abscesses. Over the last 12 months I've had almost 20 abscesses in places ranging from my knee, to my jaw, lower abdomen and under arms. It all started when I got back from 5 weeks travelling round south East Asia though doctors have said that is a coincidence. Every time I'm in masses of pain, am unable to attend teaching at university so damaging my education, and complete a course of flucloxacillin, I often Lance them myself with a sterilised needle to relieve the pressure, the doctors refuse to Lance them for me, apart from one I had one surgically lanced and drained under general anaesthetic. Each abscess leaves a scar. All the doctors have done is test me for diabetes which was negative and give me antibiotics nobody is willing to do anything else for me and these things are debilitating and depressing and I'm struggling to cope sad I'm an other wise healthy 23 year old woman, I exercise fairly regularly (unless I have an abscess) I have a healthy bmi of 22 and a varied and healthy diet. I don't smoke I only drink occasionally. I'm doing everything right but these things just keep happening. I don't know how much longer I can cope and I don't know what else to do.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Poor you that sounds terrible! Are these all pilonoidal sinuses?
  • Posted

That sounds awful! I've had two abcesses.I had surgery for the drainage of an abscess. It was a large abscess which was extremely painful. I was admitted to hospital as an emergency and had surgery to drain the abscess. The wound was left open to heal and I have been attending the hospital on a daily basis to have the wound packed and the dressing changed.

I have a healthy BMI , don't smoke or drinking and do lots of exercise and like you say , I don't know why they are happening, no explanation from docs either. Just say to me'' could be ingrown hair, hereditary or 'just one of those things'.

• Posted

Hi Emily,

Where you able to find a cure for this as i see u posted on the forum 9 months ago?

I am so fed up i have my tenth one now, each time the Warrington NHS hospital have only drained it and not offered and investigation to why it is happening!!

Very frustrating, and strugglign to cope with the horrendous problem

Thanks

• Posted

i feel for you... i've had two abcesses, think i have a third. Like you am fit, healthy bmi of 20, lots of running and keep fit.. eat healthy don't smoke don't have much alcohol at all.  I want to cry. it's horrible. No advice from NHS or what causes them..

• Posted

Are they pilonoidal sinuses that you have had?
    • Posted

I had perianal abscesses one that was drained and packed everyday, then I had to have it done again as it healed on the outside before the inside, I had it packed everyday  for almost 6 weeks...
    • Posted

My son had pilonoidal sinuses with abscesses for 6 years so u have my complete sympathy, not sure if they are the same thing? He had like tunnels inside his body that developed due to infection. Last op just over a year ago, amazing surgeon, it was healed by April, much quicker than first two ops.
  • Posted

Hi Emily that sounds so awful, I've suffered from this problem also and my only tip is that ibuprofen cream helps to alleviate the pain. A doctor recently recommended it to me when I was beginning to get an abcess before a long flight, obviously it won't get rid of it but it helped the pain before the antibiotics kicked in. You can buy it over the counter and I would recommend getting the strongest one. My only other tips are to take baths regularly and put some table salt in (I take one every day). Hope your problem improves I know how awful they are xx

• Posted

I've also found the best antibiotics to be amoxicillin and metronidazole (take together)

• Posted

You poor thing!! How are things now ? Are you still suffering? My son had terrible trouble so we both sympathise

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.