Nobody told me how painful was going to be!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all,

At last I have found a site that tells it how the excision of haemorrhoids really feels.

I have suffered with internal ones over the last 10 years, initially started after childbirth.

As I got older I am a fit 72 year old, so the condition worsened. eXroid electro theraphy worked initially but my consultant called time.

I am now in day 6 after surgery and boy the consultant never told me about the agony, he just said take it easy, keep stools soft see you in 6 weeks!

The first BM was on day 3, I was sobbing on the loo. I passed a lot of blood but after each subsequent time I held a warm hand shower to the area to cleanse and it gave relief and sitting in a warm bath helps too.

On day 4, I took a mild laxative which although the BM was agony has kept things moving gently.

Resting on the bed when the pain and discomfort get too much has helped me.

I initially took Ibuprofen as directed but now only when the discomfort gets too much. Leakage and passing blood has eased but the swelling around the opening is bad, once that begins to go down I hope things will get easier.

Thank you to everyone for their frank, tell it how it is information and helpful hints and encouragement.

Surgery was my only option but I do not regret having it. Each week I tell myself things will get easier and thank goodness for Netflix! and Agatha Christie books.

Liz.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Liz,

I'm six days in too! 38 year old male. Wowowow its intense right?! And thank god for this website! Mine seems to be going a little better than most I've read here... I'm off all meds, eating dried mixed fruits like a monster and drinking the planets water supply dry lol I am still so scared everytime I want to fart or bm but they're kinda getting easier... a squatty potty helps and no straining, and I can bm without needing a shower right after - as long as I use a thousand wet wipes (keeping them in the fridge helps). A light diet mostly of veg, soup and weetabix is keeping me going and keeping things soft enough. Leakage is annoying and I'm trying different things out - atm its sanatary pads and underwear during the day and adult nappies at night. Cant think of anything else right now but good luck and stay strong... It's defo worth it!

Mal x

• Posted

Thanks Mal, thanks for the cheering words, i thought by day 9 things would be easier, but tail end is so sore and fed up cleaning. myself. I am drinking lots of water and sitzbaths etc but its never ending, oh well i will just have to get on with it and take each day as it comes. Little wonder consultant didn't say much about after effects! Great to have the forum .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.