Noctunal leaking

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have BPH and on Doxozosin. Averaging twice during sleep to void.

But I'll wake up with a wet area on the sheet.

Sometimes just a tiny amount; other times enough to need a change of sheets.

Even before the Doxo I've had some nocturnal leaking, bed-wetting.

It is so totally demoralizing. I haven't peed in a bed since I was like maybe 5 y/o.

Anyone else have this problem? What have you done to help it? cure it?

is this just yet another part of becoming an "OF"?

Thanks.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Do you have urinary retention ?

• Posted

yes, but not nearly as bad as before the Doxozosin.

Averages:

8-10x during the day

2x during the night

And I drink a lot of water and 3 full mugs of coffee daily.

• Posted

You have many potential solutions, you may try more than one together.

1. Reduce your liquid intake unless you have a special reason, especially after dinner. I consume most of my liquid, drink as well as wet foods, in the morning. After that, one cup for lunch, one for dinner. Most people don't need more than 2 liters of liquid, including liquid in foods, a day.
      2. Adjust your doxazosin dosage. More of it will reduce your retention and make peeing easier but too much it can also relax your bladder neck too much, causing leakage.
      3. Measure your retention, either with an ultrasound or by self cathing. If it's high, then self cath before bed will help. If you produce too much overnight, you might even have to set a timer to get up and self cath again during the night, unless you adhere to number 1 above-mentioned.
      4. Wear diapers.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

If you have nocturnal leaking, then you may be reaching the maximum that your bladder can hold from urinary retention and the "safety valve" is overflowing when you sleep. This means that you may already have acute urinary retention (AUR) which can lead to bad bladder damage.

Have a post void residual (PVR) ultrasound scan of your bladder ASAP. Remember that BPH blockage can result in bad bladder damage. Been there and done that. Even after my Rezum which successfully cleared up the blockage from BPH, I am still dealing with a weakened bladder.

• Posted

I was in AUR and still able to pee a little bit. AUR was diagnosed by the amount of pee that I was retaining after peeing using a bladder ultrasound scan.

• Posted

I had the same problem. My bladder is holding to much, like 400 ccs after peeing. So I stop drinking at 7 p.m. I CIC before I go to bed and I wear a depends but I don't need to anymore. The CIC drains my bladder and then I get the signal to get up and pee.

I'm going to get a Rezum or a Green Light soon. Trying to decide which.

• Posted

CIC before going to bed to totally empty is good advice. I had a Rezum which worked to remove my BPH blockage. If you chose Rezum, then find a urologist who has done enough of them and has sufficient experience with Rezum. GLEP was my 2nd choice. I was absolutely not going to have a TURP,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.