Nocturia - producing too much urine at night?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Had this for about or over 10 years now, I just put up with it, going to pee every 2-3 hours at night. In my 30s, decent health. Saw urologist before, no obvious problems found for tests run & body check. He gave me sample medications typical for nocturia/polyuria treatment, but none seem to work for me, still had to go. Don't recall the meds tried, have to look at my paperwork.

It just seems like I produce a lot of urine at night for some reason. And my best option may be to minimize fluid intake at night, I try when I can, but it's kinda hard to do. I tend to get thirsty towards night time compared to daytime. I still pee often during daytime but nothing crazy unlike night time.

My flow of urine is fine, and my bladder feels empty every time I go, it just "refills" at night 2-3 hrs later.

Sometimes I could probably hold the urine for longer at night, but doing so would likely keep me awake, as there's this nagging feeling at the bladder I can't "turn off". So I just go, empty it, and go back to bed feeling better, until the next iteration. I automatically wake from sleep to go during those iterations.

Just wondering if there's others with my kind of symptoms, and how you've dealt with things.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi david64159.

I guess you will still have this issue if ongoing for 10 years, but have you had any progress?

I started to have this issue about 18 months ago, with varying intensity. Exactly as you describe. I have OAB during the day often, which I've often attributed to Crohns messing up my system, and drinking lots of tea. I did, however, read an interesting article not long ago, about elevating the legs (above the head, I believe, but it also said napping/laying down) for a few hours in the afternoon/evening. This was to help flush out accumulated fluid before sleeping. I have tried it a few times, though not routinely, and I think it did help. I don't think I have a water retention problem, but I often seem to produce lots of pee at night, whilst hardly drinking anything in the evening. Am in my late 30s. I'm going to try & make it more of a routine, but of course, not always possible... Let me know how you're getting on!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.