Nocturnal Acid Reflux Help Needed

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi, I've been suffering with Gastro Oesophageal Reflux Disease for the past 4 years and whilst the symptoms are bearable during the daytime, my acid reflux really flares up of a night-time and causes me no end of problems getting a decent nights sleep. I was on 30mg Lansoprazole once per day up until Nov last year, but then started developing a catchy throat, water-brash and a chronic (productive) cough every evening, so my GP has put me on Omeprazole (20mg 2x per day) and Domperidone (10mg 3x per day). I had a Gastroscopy about a year and a half ago and all this found was mild duodenitis, but there was a lot of reluxed liquid in my oesophagus.

The new medication hasn't really helped so far.

As soon as I lie down of a night-time, I get gurgles and a lump in my throat, I can't swallow and start coughing. Eventually I have to get up and try and expel all the mucus in my throat. I have also had problems with my sinus' and have had cold after cold this winter. However my GP doesn't think my sinusitis is related to GORD.

I have been strictly following all the recommended GORD lifestyle modifications, (avoiding alcohol, caffeine, chocolate, fatty foods, tomatoes etc), not eating 3+ hours before bed, and I also prop up the bed on 7inch blocks and use a Wedge pillow and try to sleep only on my left hand side). The only way I get some respite is sleeping on the sofa with the wedge pillow over the arm of the sofa so I am at effectively a 45 degree angle.

Does anyone have any other tips that they can recommend as I am nearing my wits end and am struggling with my work and homelife with the constant lack of sleep and energy.

Are some PPI's more effective than others?

Thanks,

3 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

When you get a burn eat a apple before you go to bed give acid something to do!

I also take pinenut oil  gels available on net look up EFA essential fatty acids .

the med your on kills acid you need to breakdown food these help restore them check out your diet eat slower  if you are so desperate knock  omeprazole on the head for a week or two it could be side effects are harmful to you !

if you are in so much discomfort ask your doctor ! This question have you got anything to loose by NOT taking tablets for a couple of weeks to try and find some relief .

i have not had any acid since taking pinenut oil it's  about £10 for 60 gels lasts a month 2 gels per day .regards Trev.

• Posted

Hi! I know this post was over a year ago and your reflux problem might have been over but in case you will experience the same which I did lately this might be of help. I suffer from reflux disease evry now and then but Lately has worsened at night. My on-demand med omeprazole did not relieve the nite reflux. My doc prescribed 40mg omeprazole with sodium bicarbonate taken before bedtime and it relieved me totally. I hope this works for you in case.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.