Nodular prurigo

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have at last had a diagnosis of nodular prurigo,  as for years never had any diagnosis ,taking atarax  which heps especially at night, wonder if anyone suffers from this , and how do they cope with the intense itching, just started light treatment .

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sue, I took Atarax - Hydroxyzine to help with itching and it did for a couple of years but it was only when I was put on oral steroids that my itching stopped.  I don't have Nodular Prurigo but another skin disease that is equally difficult to treat.

I have been on prednisolone for 3 years and am aiming to come off it.  I am down to 1mg/day.  I started on Methotrexate at the beginning of December and it seems to be helping me.  The itching hasn't returned, with the steroid tapering.

The problem I had with Atarax eventually, was that it caused restless legs and also I was permanently doped.  I was taking 25mg.  I took it at around 7pm, otherwise I didn't wake up in the morning until 9am.  

What treatment are you on?

• Posted

Hya, I'm on 25mg Atarax, and it is helping, i must say, it does make you a little drowsy. I do find the benefit of that at night though.

I only suffer from this allergy in the autumn/winter, so will stop taking this when spring comes.

I have also bought and taking pcynogenol, which hopefully will help, and now having light treatment, after 13 years of misery, i finally feel i am getting some-where, thanks.

• Posted

I'm glad you're getting some relief at last.  I was taking 25mg Atarax too.  I had been itching for 4 years and it was always worse at night.  I was really glad to have this drug that made me sleep!

Good luck Sue

• Posted

Thank you very much for replying ,and hope you find relief too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.