Noise sensitive from anxiety?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Back in January 2018 I started getting these uncontrollable shakes just before bed.  They wouldn’t happen all the time maybe once every 2-3 weeks. In that time I developed a very stiff neck. I seen the doctor and he told me I am stressed and have anxiety. I did have a higher amount of stress from work and a teenage son. I didn’t think I was stressed out but maybe I was. In March my doctor put me on leave for 4 weeks from work. Things got better - not 100% but I was able to return to work. Since I have gone back to work my hearing has gotten very sensitive. Most sensitive to deep noises such as the refrigerator or water cooler. Or even riding in a car. When I drive a car I need to wear at least one ear plug. Any of these types of noises can set me off with tension behind the ears then I start to get these pains all over my head which then leads to accelerated heart rate. I am not on any medication but I do have Larazapam for when these episodes come.  I have had a CT scan done and seen an ENT and all clear there.   Anyone else have noise sensitivity?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Loud noises make me anxious. So you are not alone. I don't want the tv or radio on. I like the quiet. I don't know why that is. Maybe someone on here will tell us why this happens.  Good luck to you.

• Posted

I had a professor once who had a condition to noise. He had to wear ear plugs outside. I read up on his condition, but I can't remember what it was. His nerves were very sensitive to noise. If it is psychological, then there is an emotional component. It sounds like you are hypervigilant to stimuli around you. There is a term for this. The symptoms for anxiety are many, they involve nervous reactions. I have kids your age and their issues often become my issues, which turn into worry and anxiety. There may be some emotional triggers with certain noises, you may want to explore a bit more with a counselor if there is a connection between noise and your emotional response. 

• Posted

Noise sensitivity is not uncommon among anxiety sufferers Kevin. It's more common among men, for some reason. Has something to do with the fight/flight reaction.

• Posted

Hi Kevin

I too have suffered from extreme noise sensitivity. The house phone at my dad’s house for example would literally make me jump and my heart thump extremely loudly. The supermarket tannoy, being around noisy people and children would all terrify me and I’d have to cover my ears with my hands. The above hardly bothers me now, but loud traffic for example still makes me a bit nervous and jumpy. Even now I still keep my mobile phone on vibrate. I think noise sensitivity as someone has already mentioned, occurs because our nerves have become so sensitive as a response to the stress our body has gone through from anxiety, and in my case also depression. Being on medication has definitely helped me. Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

hi im in my early 30s and recently been diagnosed as been on the spectrum

noise sensitivity is probably the hardest issue I have to face. stuff like banging of plates/whistling/coughing/sneezing etc really annoy me and make me nervous. another odd one is loud speakers in which some are very close family really frustrates me. a lot of the time the answer back 'oh I didn't know I was shouting or I don't be knowing I'm dis loud', it's f annoying. sometimes it's bearable if it's 'something I'm interested in or If I had a bit of alcohol. If attention is brought towards it, I'd feel very nervous and frustrated which leads to many issues

weirdly I' a gig fanatic and would travel a lot to see/hear them. if it was a small venue I'd try wear 'ear plugs' but in bigger venues I seem to get on fine. I've siad to many doctors that 'even with my noise sensitivity I feel why I don't get as anxious at those events about it is because I'm expecting it'

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.