noises inside head?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Have been on ven for 2 years. 225mg a day. Still swing between high as a kite and rock bottom but manage reasonable amount of time in that 'nothingness' that lies in between. However, if I ever forget to take tabs, within hours a start to get 'electric type buzzes' inside my head. They come in pairs ans sound a bit like a rattle snakes warning ?? (hard to describe), - reliable reminder but drives me (more) crazy. Please someone else tell me that they know what I'm talking about ?!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

[quote:f43f6639c3=\"ellenshed\"]Have been on ven for 2 years. 225mg a day. Still swing between high as a kite and rock bottom but manage reasonable amount of time in that 'nothingness' that lies in between. However, if I ever forget to take tabs, within hours a start to get 'electric type buzzes' inside my head. They come in pairs ans sound a bit like a rattle snakes warning ?? (hard to describe), - reliable reminder but drives me (more) crazy. Please someone else tell me that they know what I'm talking about ?![/quote:f43f6639c3]

Hi have been on Ven for a longer period 4 years up to 150 mg. Currently taking 75 mg slow release. I have similar problems with 'noises in my head' if I miss taking a dose. The noises are like a 'fluorescent light buzzing signal'. They really get bad together with the brain jolts you get. I have trid to gradually wean myself off this drug by discarding some of the capsule' s granules over a period of time, but through circumstamces had o go back to 75mg. I would like to get off this medication since I do not see the benefits other than addiction

• Posted

hi folks :cheerup:

nothing to worry about peeps, these 'electric shock' type sounds are a sign of withdrawl im afraid :? i was on efexor for about 4 years and missed doses when i ran out of it a couple of times over bank holidays etc, not recomended !!!! :shock:

what you have to figure about venlafaxine is that it has a VERY short half life, in fact its only 24 hours as against, say, prozac (fluoxetine) which has a very LONG half life, what this means is that, for example, if your usual dosage is 200 mg, after 24 hours there is only 100 mg left in your 'system', another 24 hours later 50 mg left (a total of 48 hours of missed doses) and so on, from this we can see that after missing a usual dose for not much longer than 24 hours from the last dose, withdrawl symptons can/may begin to set in :? but with prozac where the drug takes several WEEKS to clear the 'system' so therfore missing a dose isnt very important :wink:

i hope that helps and good luck on your full recovery :cheers:

Ken ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ :mrgreen:

• Posted

:cry: HAVING BEEN ON VARIOUS ANTIDEPRESSANTS FOR THE LAST 9 YEARS I HAVE BEEN CHANGED OVER TO VENLAFAXINE, NOW TAKEN THEM FOR 5 WEEKS, 75MG FOR 2 WEEKS THEN 150MG FOR 3 WEEKS. I HAVE THESE FUNNY SWISHING NOISES IN MY HEAD ALOND WITH SLIGHTLY DISTURBED VISION (THE TWO COME TOGETHER) IS THIS WHAT OTHERS HAVE FELT? ALSO HAVE HEADACHES AND FEEL RUBBISH. I HAVE MISSED A COUPLE OF DOSES THOUGH, ONE A COUPLE OF DAYS AGO AND ONE LAST WEEK, I AM USED TO TAKING MY MEDS IN THE EVENING, DOES ANYONE ELSE STRUGGLE TO REMEMBER TO TAKE THEM? ANY TIPS ON REMEMBERING? :idea: [/b]
  • Posted

I'm dreadful at remembering meds so I bought one of those little dispensing boxes from the chemist - it has 4 sections in each day for 7 days of the week - and each 1 day section pulls out so you just carry it around for that day with you. I also keep a spare supply of a couple of each of my meds in a baggy just so they're always on me in case I forget. There are things that can help - put your morning meds near your toothbrush or fridge or kettle and your night meds near your bed. Also, setting a reminder on your mobile phone is a good technique. As someone who repeatedly lapses and forgets, I know how hard it is, its just a matter of climing back on the horse every time you fall off and trying to think of ways that will help remind you.

As for withdrawals, I had the head zaps and the electric shocks from citalopram and as disturbing as they were, they did disappear. Cold turkey can work if you are strong willed and aren't going to do anything stupid otherwise the tiny reductions sound more sensible than suddenly halving the dose.

• Posted

glad not only one that finds missing a pill brings on the noises ! was convinced i was losing my mind . gp not interested. i now take mine at night make it my nightly routine ( i know they always say take in the morning but i cant function properly if i do that )
  • Posted

Is this a bipolar medication? I take Venlafaxine, and often experience sounds like the ignition of a gas burner on the stove. They come in groups.
  • Posted

I get this evening if it's 10mins after my usual time of taking my venlafaxineSamsung. Absolutely horrible and 'They're not addictive!!!'

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.