Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello I was just diagnosed with NAFLD.  The gastro says that with diet and weight loss I can reverse this condition.  He encouraged losing around 50 pounds but said every pound helps.  Has anyone had success with reversing this condition?  Any advice on what to eat/drink/ supplements, helps me, thank you.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

It is reversible. Stop eating all takeaways, stop eating food that comes in a box/packet to be put in the microwave/oven. Eat pretty much all you like, as long as it is made by yourself.

Don't fall for zero fat foods, the body needs fat. It is the extra sugar/carbohydrates that turn to fat that cause the problem. Anyone that doesn't understand this, beer has zero fat, why do people who drink huge amounts get a beer belly if there is no fat?

Essentially, avoid the modern diet of convenience food and make it yourself.

• Posted

Thank you for the advice. Do you have fatty liver? Do you know how soon the fatty liver can begin reversing this condition? I'm really clueless . And the info online kind of scare me and makes me depressed . I am 43 years old.

• Posted

No, I'm a few stages on from that. I have ALD, cirrhosis Child-Pugh A.

The steps are, fatty liver - reversible, the next steps are not reversible - fibrosis, cirhhosis class A, class B and class C. Those are the UK classifications, the US classify it slightly differently.

How soon depends how how bad it is and how well you do at avoiding junk food. Plus everyone responds to things differently. Just eat well and things will return to normal. Don't try all the faddy food stuffs, just eat like your parents or grandparents did. Not ordering takeaways, not sticking a pizza in the oven, actually peeling veg and cooking fresh meat etc.

• Posted

Aw I hope you are ok. And doing well. Are you able to help your condition at all?
  • Posted

Hi Kelan

I found out yesterday that i have NAFLD - I am 43 in August. Apparently something was showing on a liver scan back in 2013 but no one evr said anything about this. I was being tested for something else when NAFLD reared is ugly head.

I have slao in the past 3 weeks been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and with effect from today i am now on Metformin. So a pretty rubbish few weeks really. I desperatly need to get my head ariund NAFLD and quick. i will keep an eye on your thread for anyone's advices.  

• Posted

Hi, mine was also found a year ago, and my doctors didn't really worry.  I gained extra weight this year, and thought on my own to go to a gastro, and he diagnosed me.  He also said "when you leave here, do not worry, you can reverse this, and I tell people, that they  no longer have NAFLD"  Its been a week, and i have watched what I ate, and only drink water, the pain i had in my side rib is almost gone.  I'm hoping that what he said is true and I am able to reverse it.  Good luck to you.

• Posted

Pleased for you. The simple avoiding processed food works for most people. Food manufacturers and fast food outlets have a lot to answer for and are the cause of a lot of modern day medical problems.
  • Posted

First post on the board,

I just received my second blood test in 6 weeks back expecting improved ALT AST. Since my last blood test I have not strayed from my diet and workout regimen. No red meats, lots of veggies, no butter, no fast food, no sugar, no booze. I have dropped 15LBS to 250LBS. I'm 6'3 and 29 yo male.

My cholesterol and triglycerides improved to just above the recommended levels. However my liver enzyme levels are at 151 and 55. I speak with my doctor tomorrow, but I'm blown away. I thought I would have had tremendous improvement.

• Posted

Nothing wrong with red meat or butter.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.