Non-Diabetic Low Blood Sugar

Posted , 4 users are following.

So.. all my life I have had episodes of low blood sugar, well, that's what we think but I've been tested twice after fasting for breakfast and both were negative (this was years ago). Lately i've been having more trouble, it happens 1-3 times a day and it comes with:

- Sudden, extreme hunger

- Nausea and stomach pain (alternating with the hunger)

- Extreme fatigue and weakness (sometimes I cannot hold my head up)

- Mild to severe shakiness

- Sweating

- Coldness

- Tachycardia

- Heart palpitations

- Lightheadedness

- Dizzyness

On the worse episodes, I will experience all these symptoms at once and in full intensity. Other, more milder episodes are just the hunger, shakiness, and fatigue. The problem is that I have Gastroparesis so my stomach empties so slow that fasting and then blood tests is not effective in diagnosing hypoglycemia in me. My family and I are convinced that I suffer from non-diabetic hypoglycemia but we just need a different way of diagnosis, any suggestions? Will probably email my PCP over the weekend but not sure what to say...

Current diagnosis:

-Gastroparesis

-GERD

-Functional constipation

-Tachycardia

-POTS (in the middle of being diagnosed with)

*This is not about diabetes but this was the closest forum I could find... plus many of my relatives have diabetes.

Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

What is your A1C. ? I have that fatigue you mentioned and I also get strange sensations in my muscles. The difference is that I am diabetic with type 2. Sometimes I could barely climb the stairs and I am usually dehydrated even after drinking a lot of water. All I an say to is see if there is something in your diet that might be contributing to your symptoms. Let us know.
  • Posted

Go down to the nearest drug store and get a blood glucose testing kit, if you have to pay cash instead of getting insurance to pay the whole thing will still cost you somewhere between about $50 and $100, then you can run a quick test when you feel that way and tell the doctor for sure.  Meter, test strips, little spring-loaded finger pricker, one-time "lances", and maybe some alcohol pads.  Probably have five different brands at a typical store.  Easy-peasy, pain is minimal to zero.

When you have the symptoms, does drinking a bit of fruit juice, or a packet of sugar if you must, fix you up?  That would be pretty much confirm hypoglycemia.  Gastroparesis might slow that but not stop it, takes barely a minute or so for most diabetics when they have such problems.

• Posted

Yes the symptoms do go away when I drink juice or a soda or something sweet. Eating regular food also makes it go away but it takes longer.
  • Posted

Ive been having the same issue as well. Not diabetic either, refer to my post under yours. There is some helpful info there. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.