Non displaced fracture distal radius question

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, today sliding into 3rd base I felt weird and in pain. Looked swollen and I was pitching went back out there but couldn’t feel comfortable catching the ball being thrown back to me. Went to the urgent care they took x rays and dr said I see a small chip but it doesn’t look bad. 

I need to goto ortho tomorrow but they put me in a stent and sling and I feel pretty good just wiggling my fingers away. 

I’m 31, been playing baseball 28 years and never had 1 injury and figures I now have a 4 week old and the wife’s not too happy with me. 

A few questions, how soon do you think I can play baseball again? 

When can I hold my child again? 

Thanks everyone!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Bump - today is day 3 and I must say it feels 500% better than it did Sunday. I can move all my fingers and thumb no issues. Any chance this cast will only be on 3 weeks? I got a 4 week old I need to get back to helping out with. 
  • Posted

Not sure. My bf had similar injury. No surgery,just a sling. Some days were better than others. On the days he felt great,all good. But he was feeling all good, doing too much too soon,and he would be irritated when he didn't feel well,or after doing too much. How long did they say the cast needs to be on?

• Posted

They didn’t say. They said Your young and healthy and don’t smoke probably a couple weeks. Worst case, 6 weeks they said. It’s just a hairline fracture the dr said. I go back next Wednesday for more x rays. 
    • Posted

I don’t even care about going back to baseball anytime soon just want to be able to help my wife again and hold my daughter. 
  • Posted

I broke my wrist at the beginning of April and had a cast on for five weeks but am having more trouble now the cast has been removed!

My bone is healing well but being immobilised for five weeks has caused stiffness in my wrist and numbness from the pressure of the cast - also my fingers are still swollen which is not unusual!

Keep your fingers moving whilst in the cast should help you but have patience when it comes to the range of movement after the cast has been removed- something of which I have to constantly remind myself as I get very frustrated with the lack of movement that I have.

That said, everyone is different - I know of someone who went back to work a week after her cast removal but she is a bit younger than me!

All the best for your recovery!

• Posted

Thanks Vanessa! So my fingers aren't swollen at all and I am constantly moving them and my thumb. Today I am finally back to typing with both hands on my laptop for work...typing with one hand was tricky haha.

I am hoping to get the cast off after 3-4 weeks is my goal....we'll see what the x ray says next Wednesday though I guess.

• Posted

You are doing well if you are typing with both hands - only just managing that myself! I’m off work at the moment as there is limited movement in my wrist and as I am an administrator I need both my hands to work!

Good luck with your X-ray next Wednesday- I have a hospital appointment myself that day for my second session of physiotherpy- fingers crossed for both of us!

• Posted

Went for new xray and update today...things are looking good! Had to get a new cast put on because it became too loose. I go back in 2 weeks and then may get it off then...if not then another 1 week.
    • Posted

That’s good news! I found my cast very claustrophobic and couldn’t wait for it to be removed!

My wrist is still quite stiff - I’ve been out of the cast for 5 weeks but physio seems to be improving the range of movement. I think the younger you are the more fortunate that you’ll be!

Keep me updated when you have your cast removed in a couple of weeks - best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.