Posted , 4 users are following.
10 weeks ago: 48 yo male: Motorcycle accident causing the following injury:
* Vertical non-displaced patella fracture
* Grade II injury at quadriceps tendon.
* Possible small vertical tear at medial meniscus
* Mild grade 1 injury of MCL ligament
Unfortunately, injury was misdiagnosed and mistreated for the for the first few weeks (I'm an expat living in Asia) and I started with just a half leg splint instead of a full cast.
* Knee Splint: first 3 1/2 weeks
* Crutches: 6 weeks (alternating between 1 and 2 crutches: Should've been using 2 always for 6 weeks)
* Fibreglass cast (on at week 3.5, off at weeks 5: should've been put on at day 1)
* Knee brace: Locked at 90 degrees: Weeks 5-Week 10
* I can walk okay at 10 weeks but still can’t take stairs without pain.
* Doing PT for ROM and isometric exercises. (A physiotherapist actually had me doing leg extensions with weights at 4 1/2 weeks, which is way to soon to be doing bent-leg weight bearing exercises so I stopped going. Doing PT on my own)
* Still some pain and swelling
* Still wearing brace for stability and to prevent hyperextension (Doc says I don't need it anymore, but I feel safer with it)
I’m concerned that not having a proper cast for the first 6 weeks and only using 1 crutch at times could’ve caused damage such as an excess of internal scar tissue (adhesions) which could lead to arthristis.
Does it sound like I’m being paranoid?
0 likes, 4 replies