Non displaced tibia break. Pain after 5 weeks has occured?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

Looking for advice please if anyone can help. I'm currently 5 weeks post break tomorrow and tibia seems to be in worse pain now. Consultant had me in a full leg cast for 2 weeks and then put me into a lower leg cast, with the plan being weight bearing with crutches for 4 weeks then onto fully weight bearing for another 4 weeks with cast still on. Consultant made it quite clear that if I don't put weight through it, then the tibia will not heal properly.

The walking with crutches started gradually, to the point now in week 3 where I was able to shuffle around house pain free without the crutches 3 days ago. However, in the last couple of days, my leg has had a burning feeling and last night there were sharp shooting pains across my leg. I rested up straight away and today I've been very cautious with how much weight is going through it. The leg is still quite achy with the burning feeling still there, however the sharp painsa re no longer there. I'm still taking fish oils, Vit D and plenty calcium.

I was hoping that anyone could shed light on this for me and give me some mental clarification as to what may be going on and if this is to be expected during the bone healing process etc?

Thanks

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I broke my wrist 11 weeks ago that was bad enough, with the leg it must be so much worse. Try looking on U Tube I found the videos of people with information on there. It wont be long before you get lots of advice on here though. I am 68 and went through lots of different types of pain. Although I was told to excersise my hand and weist twice a day, I did it every other day, the soft tissues have to be considered. Listen to the advice but just do what you can. I can do lots with my hand now but I did not put my hand and wrist through excessive pain. All the best for a good recovery.

Maureen

• Posted

Hi Grievem!  I broke my ankle in 2 places over three months ago. I have had so many different pains. Before, I never realized such a variety of pains existed.

While we heal, a certain amount of pain is to be expected, but not excruciating pain I don't think.

For example, I was quite happy with the progress I was making with my foot. The physiotherapist was happy too. However, the last exercise of the day sort of cancelled every good thing out. I was to stand on my tippy toes; both feet at the same time. My good foot did ok, but my injured foot.....well that was a different story. Talk about excruciating pain!

I was so very nervous and concerned as to whether or not more damage was done; but after a week things have settled down. I didn't bother doing exercises until I believed my foot was ready.

We are the experts regarding our bodies. Maybe your body is transmitting a message to be easier on yourself. We have to be cautious when it comes to excruciating pain.

Less pain, but pain nevertheless can be a healing kind.

I hope you get better soon Grievem!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.