non gym exercises

Posted , 6 users are following.

my husband is in icu for the foreseeable future, what can i do to keep the progress I've made because going to the pool is not going to happen. may 17 and august 17 tkr. great bend and extension need strengthening work thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Gotta rebuild your dead quads, glutes and core.  Here's the program...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/post-tkr-exercising-565527

However, you can't get to a gym.  So......  All these exercises can be done with a $30 set of fitness bands and their attachments.  Put in the door stop...close the door.  Now attach one of the clips to the stop and the other side to a band.  Use it with the included ankle strap and exercise your brains out.  There are tons of videos on this technique on YouTube or on DVD if you want to do it in front of a TV.

The point is to do the strength training...any way you can.  Get the band set and make it work for you!!!  Start with the 20-pound band and increase gradually to the 30 and then the 40.  It will make a big difference.

• Posted

Excellent- all of your posts have helped me more than you can know- you and your amazing daughter!  Almost 6 months post TKR and back on my road bike and back to walking my regular distance on the trails.  Big improvement from my first post where I was crying because I was tired and sad.  You have helped so many- a great big thank you from me.  Range of motion 0 to 126 and I will keep working on getting to 130 or so.  THANK YOU for kindly supporting the TKR group.🎉

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your husband. Ive made a mini gym in my spare room. I have a mat where I can do leg curls by putting ankle weights on and pulling my feet towards the back of my head, leg extensions putting a smallish ball under you knee and the straightening the leg to full extension, add ankle weights when it gets easy, straight leg lifts. I have a bike on a turbo trainer, and I have a small step where I can do calf raises, step up and step down, one legged squats. There's a lot of exercises you can do at home I just think if you physically went to a gym you are more likely to do something when you get there, when it's at home you can get into the habit of ignoring that room 😂

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband.

One easy way to incorporate an easy exercise is to take the stairs, go up slowly, tread right on the step. Coming down, also very, very slowly, using your muscles to lower yourself to the next step (it's a bit like doing single leg squats), do not take your foot off the higher step until the whole of your foot is flat down on the lower step, so it also helps the bend. You will feel it if done properly.

It may do the job until you can get to the gym & do it properly. It does mean going up & down stairs looks ungainly, but can be done anywhere there are steps.

My love to you & your husband, I hope he will improve.

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

thanks everyone, hubby is improving but slowly. the stairs sound perfect, something i can do at the hospital

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.