Non healing fracture

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi Im a fairly fit 64 year old female. On 21st July this year I turned my ankle and broke my fibula below my ankle bone with minimal displacement. It did not seem too serious and I was in a boot.  I was feeling ok and beginning to walk carefully indoors again without a boot at 8 weeks and stumbled and stamped down on my injured foot , fortunately whilst wearing my boot. Awful pain so Went for an x ray and the injury looked hnheaked from an X-ray taken at 2 weeks. The staff said it looked like it had not healed at all. X rats were then assessed by surgeon who said he could see some signs of healing - he told me to use the boot and crutches for 3 weeks then just crutches, but 3 weeks have past and the ankle is swollen heated and very painful. (like someone is sticking a knife in my foot).  Should I ask for a second opinion? Should I excercise or rest? He said no physio. I am taking 800 of callcium and eating healthily. Any help please I am very concerned. Thank you in advance. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

You need to touch bases with the doctor that gave you the directions.  Tell him that after the 3 weeks in a boot and crutches your ankle is still swollen and very painful.  His advise may be different now based on your input.  If not then you could consider a second opinion but I would certainly ask why after doing everything you were told for 3 weeks you have not improved enough to think that crutches alone are a good option.  When you are not moving around to you follow any of the RICE guidance?  Especially Rest and Elevation.  The boot would give you the Compression.  I tried to keep my foot on pillows in my recliner so that the foot was higher than my heart.  What do you mean "exercise"?  Have you been to PT?  When I had my foot elevated I would take my boot off and exercise.  Point and flex, sole of the foot in and out, circles right and left, writing the alphabet with my big toe, and the hardest one was moving my foot to the left and to the right.  It was hard because half of the time I was just moving my whole leg L & R.  I had to really concentrate to keep my leg still and just move the foot.  If I were you I wouldn't exercise until told what to do by PT or the doctor.

• Posted

I was told by my chiropractor to take D3, 5000iu, he also said I could take 10000iu for 3 months only. It puts the calcium to the bone. I have no healing also. But just started the 10000iu today. Sorry for your bad experience.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.