non helpful gp and low b12

Posted , 5 users are following.

My GP ran blood tests after I collapsed and fitted after donating blood.

Results (when eventually came back) said I was had aniema low iron and my B12 was 145

I have been a vegetarian for 15 years and

strict vegan for 3 years

I have so many symptoms i sound like a hypochondriac. Pins and needles in cold hands awful memory, no strength and fatigue to name just a few

Intrinsic factor antibodies test was negative

Doc given me ferrous sulphate x 3 a day but refuses to give me b12 injections. Should I just accept his decision and get on with or push for injections

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Denise

Your b12 level is deficient. B12 is absorbed from meat and dairy only.

The BCSH cobalamin guidelines state that loading doses should be given under level 200 on alternate days until no further improvement when neuro symptoms are present. Vegans can have malabsorption problems as well as diet related deficiencies.

If symptoms are not treated then neuro damage may become irreversible.

Demand b12 treatment or see a different GP.

• Posted

Thank you heather, feel like I'm going crazy! So much fighting with gp is making me feel worse. I've been made to feel like it's self inflicted, so hard luck! I'm self medicating with oral b12 supplements but I know you waste more than take in from them. How do you demand when they won't listen???
    • Posted

My b12 level was 140. I eat meat everyday and I too was denied treatment. Drs are uneducated in b12 deficiency. Print out the guidelines to show to your GP and ask about how they will prevent irreversible damage. I had to complain to get my injections. If you need links for printing let me know.
    • Posted

Thank you so much I'm going to do it tomorrow, fed up of feeling so ill and being treated like a fool.

I hope treatment helped you and that you're feeling better.

Thank you I think I've found the right pdf if it was only as easy to talk to doc as it is to other sufferers. X

• Posted

Neuro symptoms must be addressed. Your tingling etc is all nerve damage. Your GP should not make you feel it is self inflicted but should rule out other causes and start immediate treatment. It is a good idea to check folate levels too as b12 uses folate to become active and carry out repair. I get my b12 every 4 weeks from my GP which was instructed by my neurologist. I still struggle with symptoms as I have irreversible damage but the injections do help other symptoms. Good luck. Please let me know how you get on tomorrow xx
    • Posted

Folate level is: high 22.04

Serum ferritin 10.0 low

B12 145

Serum creatinine 44 low

Red blood count 3.41 low

Haemoglobin estimation 108 low

In a fury I asked for printouts but figures mean nothing to me!

Let you know tomorrow and thank.you

• Posted

Hi denise. commiserations on how you're feeling. ppl with b12D know it well.  i can only FULLY REINFORCE what Heather has so succinctly commented.   all good luck.

C.

• Posted

Hi, with the neuro symptoms you have you should at least be getting a loading dose to bring up the numbers, gps often treat by these rather than symptoms unfortunately. Depending on your area and how the lab interprets these results gives differing base levels but most sufferers will tell you anything under 300 is either deficient or in grey area. Japan treat anying under 500! 

You could politely quote B.M.A. Chapter9 section 1.2 at him. It worked for me when all my gp wanted to give me was 4 loading despite having numerous neuro symptoms. Try going to PAS website, link in related info, they have loads of info and a contact number.

let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Oh, but you NEED injections, Denise!!! 

The good news is that your low b12 & iron could be from dietary restrictions. I hope you find good, vegan supplements because it sounds like you'll need them... he's not getting your b12 up and yet you're vegan so it's not like you'll get it from what you eat like most people. 

Hahaha, I know just what you mean by your symptom list!!! Believe me, everyone with PA and/or low B12 has this, too!! It may vary, but it's a long and crazy list...!!

Good luck today!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.