Non HRT treatments?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone, I've been menopausal for almost 3yrs now and my biggest problem until recently was night sweats. In the past 4months or so those night sweats have been so severe I have to change my bedding and shower in the night, not conducive to sleeping. More than that I've begun to have hot flushes through the day, embarrassing when it's possible to see sweat run off my face, but also I'm having incredible cravings for anything sweet. I've never had a sweet tooth and the other day I ate a whole box of biscuits to myself. I have breast tenderness and mood swings, I'm tearful, it's like having the worst pmt and pregnancy put together. I've never been someone to be overly emotional in fact most people would say I've always been very laid back and easy going.

i ad a hysterectomy 12yrs ago when I was 36 due to severely painful and heavy periods but kept my overies. I can't take HRT due to high risk complications. I've tried the usual things such as reducing my caffeine drastically and I don't have any hot drinks within 3hrs of going to bed. I wear loose, natural fibres whenever possible and I keep my bedroom at a cool temperature, with a fan running all night. The irony is I always said 'it can't be too hot for me, I ove the heat' now I would do anything to get cool. also my weight is creeping up and I have severe mobility issues so getting regular exercise is not very feasible. If anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Lisa

I know that feeling really well..and I can honestly say its the pits.  My doctor prescribed HRT Premia 2.5 it seems to take away 50% of sweats but not totally rid of them.  In doing alot of research it seems they can last for up to 10 years even after menopause, it seems all gloomy at the moment in my eyes only because I am suffering alot at the moment with fatigue and feeling drunk, and I dont even drink. Seeing my doctor again in 2 weeks cant get in any earlier, so in the meantime I just have to hang in there and wait..;-(. All I can advise is talk to your GP for experimental HRT or other...Good luck and best wishes xx

dianna

• Posted

Hi Diana, thanks for your advice. Unfortunately I'm unable to take any HRT as I'm to high risk for heat attacks and strokes. My gp has effectively just said I need to handle it.

Good luck with managing yours xx

• Posted

Hi Lisa - Try Benadryl for hot sweats, take 1 in the evening! They really helped me but not always successful on everyone!  Good Luck!
    • Posted

Hi Barbara, I'll give that a go thank you. I would never have thought of trying that.

Take care xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.