Non-medication techniques for headaches

Posted , 3 users are following.

We would all like to use non-medication to treat our headaches. Two that I am trying at the moment are as follows:

Stop eating all sugary stuff (like boiled sweets and cakes which I binge on once a week when I visit my mum).

Wearing a beannie hat when I go to sleep at night.   

I started yesterday and I seem to be ok at the moment....fingers crossed it stays that way!

Anyone have any other suggestions? If anyone says JUMP....please say how high!  LOL

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi John,

I was diagnosed with Chronic Migraine and daily headaches about 5 years ago.  Sometimes I go for a couple of weeks feeling pretty good, but then I get hit with a month or so of daily headaches.  Not really one sided Migraines, just a headache that would develope at some point during the day.  I will take Advil, Xtra Stregnth Tylenol or my Triptan Med..Relpax when my headache does not respond to anything else.  I would love to be able to solve my headache problems naturally. I do notice that eating to may carbohydrates and sugar does bring a headache when I wake up the next morning.  I agree with you about trying to stay away from sugar.  Also, staying away from MSG usually found in some salad dressings and Chinese food.  Also, I found staying away from aged cheese, bananas, yogurt, pickled foods and alchohol, as these are all triggers.  Do you take any meds at all for a bad headache?

• Posted

Hi Jennifer

Just been prescribed 200 mg Gabapentin and 200 mg ibuprofen three times a day. Going to gym every day too.  Not got rid of it totally but it's manageable.  I am just at a loss to understand why it's suddenly started after all these years.  Surely there must be something that's started it but what it is, I do not have a clue and neither does the medical profession it seems!

• Posted

You are right John, I go to a pain and headache clinic.  They just say it's called "cronic migraine".  It is truly a disease. I am taking 40 mg Nortriptyline, and Triptans such as Relpax for when I get hit with a real bad headache.  A lot of the pain in my head starts from my neck.  You can try Acupuncture, that is what I am looking into. I try very hard not to take too many meds, but we have to function.  Make sure you blood pressure is okay, because high BP can cause cronic headaches. Keep going to the gym, thats the healthy way to go.  Good Luck to you

• Posted

Jennifer85396

Interesting you mention BP.

The other week I went to hospital emergency as my headache was really bad. They took my blood pressure and it was 174/100.   I said...surely not, I've only recently increased my medication and checked it daily for nearly 2 weeks and it's been just fine. Let's try the other arm in a few minutes.  So we did..and that was just as bad. I said to the doctor.."This cannot be right, it doesn't make sense".  So the doctor said..."Sometimes you have to look at the band that is wrapped around your arm.  If it's not wide enough, it can give false readings!"  So he changed it for a wider band and I got a reading of 134/77.  I was shocked....but it's worth remembering that for the future

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.