Non obstructing kidney stones

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had re-occurring kidney stones for 10 years, now I have another in the right kidney and I'm told these do not cause pain, the e r doctor wanted to prescribe a lidocaine patch since she felt the pain was not from the stone. Totally frustrated with these doctors!!!!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

In my experience, ER doctors have no idea what they are talking about. According to the one I saw, I couldn't be passing a kidney stone because there was no blood in my urine. The CT scan proved otherwise. There are a few people on here (including myself) that can confirm that non-obstructive kidney stones can be anything from mildly uncomfortable to excruciatingly painful. And evidently there are urologists out there that still hold on to this belief, though I am fortunate that the two I have seen were completely aware of the pain that some people get from non-obstructive stones and they both had no issue giving me hydrocodone until they could treat and remove the stone (and once removed, the pain miraculously disappeared). If I were you, I would try to find a urologist that is aware of the study (or studies...I saw one, but not sure if there are more) that now say this pain is real and stones don't have to be obstructive to cause it. So much unnecessary suffering! I will have to look up the study...maybe we need to print it out and take it with us everytime we go to the ER or visit a new urologist?

• Posted

Thank you for your comments, I have seen a urologist two months ago when they found this one. As of the c t scan last night, it has gotten bigger. The e r doctor was not nice and stated there was no way this could be causing the pain. I filed a complaint this morning with the hospital against this doctor
  • Posted

Here is one for small stones: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/23006342/

• Posted

My uncle continues to have phantom pains even though his stones are gone now. That fact, coupled with this article is proof in my mind that doctors shouldn't make blanket statements about whether non-obstructing stones cause pain, or whether you can/cannot have pain from a stone that's in the kidney. People differ....

• Posted

I think you should see another doctor. I seem to recall my old boss using lidocain patches long term for back/hip pain. So, if you have confirmed recurring stones and have one presently, then it seems like this ER doctor is stupid. Glad you filed a complaint. In all the posts I've read so far, I haven't seen one person mention getting lidocain patches for their stone(s).

• Posted

CT Scans I had for other health issues showed I had a non-obstructing stone in my right kidney for well over a year, and it never gave me a problem. In fact, if it wasn't for the CT, I wouldn't have known I had it. None of my doctors ever mentioned it, and I guess that's because it wasn't giving me problems, and they were more concerned about my gallstones, as my Gallbladder was really acting up.

At the beginning of August 2017, I started passing a lot of blood and went to the ER. Had blood work, urinalysis, and a CT. I didn't have any pain, just a lot of blood. Scan showed stone was at the Ureteropelvic Junction. Was told to drink a lot of water, and to take Flomax, to help pass the stone.

Middle of September, had a Kidney Stone attack. I was so nauseous, and the pain was so bad, that I called an ambulance to take me to the ER. Had another CT. Showed stone had moved from Ureteropelvic Junction and was in the Distal part of the Ureter. Was told by ER doctor that when a stone is moving, that's when it's painful. Don't know if that's correct or not. Was given Zofran for nausea, and 600Mg Ibuprofen for pain, and told to go to a Urologist. 

Couldn't get an appointment with the urologist until October. Went to him on the 19th of October. Had Pre-op Testing on the 20th, and surgery through the Short-Procedure Unit at the hospital, on the 23rd. Had surgery right away as kidney stone was impacted in the Ureter, blocking the flow of urine, so right kidney and right Ureter were both swollen. During surgery I had a Cystoscopy, a Laser Lithotripsy, a Ureteroscopy, and a stent was put in, so urine would be able to flow through, and so that Ureter would dilate, so that the doctor would be able to get the stone out at a later date, as he could not get it out during the first surgery, nor could he get it to break up with a laser. 

Had stent in for 7 1/2 weeks, then had 2nd surgery on December 14th. During that surgery, the doctor was able to break up the stone with a laser. He also did another Ureteroscopy, and removed the stent he had put in on October 23rd. Then he put another stent in, which only had to stay in for 1 week.

December 21st, I went to the office of the Urologist, and he did a Cystoscopy and removed the stent. So my "Nightmare" is finally over.        

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.