Non obstruction kidney stone pain

Posted , 18 users are following.

Help!

I've been having severe pain on and off for a couple of years. Each time, I'm told I have kidney stones in each kidney, but they should not be causing the pain because they are non obstructing. 

Has anyone else had this issue?

I'm starting to feel crazy. 

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Brandy, I really do feel you. I've had pain on and off for over 5 years in my right lower abdomen and over the summer I had reoccurring bladder infections that would not go away with antibiotics. The pain just gets more and more regular and worse, and I often find myself unable to sleep and unable to find a comfortable position. I went to A and E after seeing a vast amount of blood in my urine, and they just gave me more antibiotics. Then, a few days later I went again with severe cry/scream-worthy pain and they said there MIGHT be something up with my kidneys. I was booked in for an ultrasound and they found a kidney stone about 1cm in size in my right kidney. Later on, I had a CT scan and it showed that it was 1.5cm. Because of the size it is stuck there in the lower part of the kidney, and causes pain because it moves around. I also greatly empathise with you. I feel like I'm going crazy. I'm highly irritable, and have been losing weight and having many other symptoms too. My appetite is often non-existent and I recently excreted the inside lining of my bowels. I am actually scared all these things are happening. Although scheduled for an operation in a few weeks, I have no value of lifestyle currently and am trapped thinking that it will not solve the issue. This pain has been going on for so long it feels like it's defining me, but moving around and doing things other people deem as 'normal' is so painful. Also, because this has been going on for so long, I find my body doing things and habits to try and help me through the pain, such as majorly fidgeting and phasing out. The other thing I'm worried about is the anxiety I get with it; my body tenses up and my heart rate increases due to the pain, but sometimes it does it when there is little pain, as if preparing itself. This of course just ends up making me feel constantly on edge, as if there is no rest. I hope any one who is reading this has been able to empathise in their own way.  

• Posted

Thanks for your post ele101.  Recently I was diagnosed with numerous nonobstructing bilateral renal calculi. Largest is located in the right interpolar region and measures up to 8 diameters. Additionally, there numerous small cortical cysts in the bilateral kidneys measuring up to 4 mm in diameter.  I completely understand everything you have said.  I have had abdominal CT, an upper GI and a colonoscopy done and I am still having pain in my right side, under the ribs and in my lower back.  I also have multiple issues with facet joints and moderate degenerative disc disease in my lower back.  I have recently had some substantial blood in my urine as well.  I can't currently take any over the counter-inflammatory medications because it causes blood in my urine almost instantly.  I also completely understand the anxiety and stress that comes with knowing you are not feeling the best.  I feel like I'm just a complete mess.  I didn't know if it would help to go to a urologist but after reading these posts I feel like that may be my best option of trying to figure out this pain.  Thanks for sharing your story.

• Posted

Hi

I have a 1cm stone in my left kidney since last 6-7years.  I had a bit of heaviness and went for checkup and was told about the stone.  After a while the heaviness subsided and I never felt pain since.  My doc says it is not obstructing or moving. If it moves it might hurt.  I have done nothing since except that I have reduced sodium intake and take Zyloric to reduce salt.  Hope it stays painless until then I cannot so anything. 

• Posted

Hi Brandy!  I have the same “problem”.  Most recently my urologist said maybe I should see an orthopaedic doctor after confirming having several small kidney stones that are non-obstructing.  

I have had 3 surgeries of the stones being removed in the past, not blasted.  

He makes me feel crazy or like I’m lying.  So happy to read your post so I know I’m not alone and to now find this site!

• Posted

Hi Brandybrockes

?Please don't feel crazy. I am going thru the same thing right now. I have a lot of pain in my lower right side and on the left side occasionally. The pain gets so bad that I don't want to get out of the bed some times. I just came home from the hospital a couple hours ago and the doctor and I had a nice little argument. He told me that because the stones are  non obstructing, that they don't cause pain.

• Posted

you are not going crazy, I have 2 nonobstructing  Intrarenal stones, and although the doctor said where they are they don't cause pain, I am in excruciating pain all the time in my lower right side and occasionally my left side.They are very painful to me

• Posted

Hi .I was diognosedmore tha two years ago with a small kidney stone , which apparently is still in the same place . I have been in bad pain now for a good while . Had a ct scan and stone still there . But told its non obstuctive . Also I feel awful. Have inflammation in my blood results .I think the stone is causing the pain. Any ideas anyone . My life is on hold .Ive recently lost my husband and theres so much to do. Im in too pain to cope. The point of pain is exactly in the kidney .ribs and flank.
  • Posted

Yes! I have had pain from non obstructing stones going on 5 years. I just had ureterscopy which removed all stones except for those in my kidney tissue. I continue to have severe pain & doctors think I am pill shopping. Its ridiculous that the doctors care that little. I don't know what I am going to do!

• Posted

Hi. Ive been having pain.in my left side kidney, rib and flank area. Ive had a small stone for at least 3yrs. Ive had tests CT. Bloods allsorts. I have some blood in urine. Still dont know whats causing this pain . They insist that a small non obstructive stone is not causing this. I think it well may be. Very fed up with it indeed. I winder if the queen had it .if she would be left in pain.without a diognosis ?
  • Posted

Non obstructing stones cause pain! I know this as I have been dealing with it for 5 years.
  • Posted

Im convinced that the excrutiating pain Im feeling is a kidney stone. But according to my urologist it hasent moved in 3 yrs and wont cause pain. I feel extremly poorly and at the end of my tether .the pain is stabbing and worse at night .like having an abcess in your side . Im bewildered . It seems to me if you have stone inside you it quite probable its going to be painful .even though non obstructive . Now im awaiting more tests its just a painful frightening waiting game. Theres no real help. A E are a waste of time .which us where my urologist told me to go. Why dont they just lazer these stones . Anyway .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.