Non Resolving Prostatitis/Urination Problems Help Please!

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi, I'm a 37 year old male looking for some advice from fellow/previous sufferers please.  On the 14th November 2014 I woke up and the morning pee was almost impossible..for the rest of the day stream flow down 60%, no prior warning, never any health issues prior..never even given

the prostate any thought.  Next day the same so went to emergency room and given AB's (Bactrim) for UTI...Also had red pee tip with burning on voiding. 

The four weeks following my urine stream went down to about 10% (then up a bit) and I didn't leave the house for 4 weeks as I could only void squatting down into a jug and pushing with everything I had, with the phone ready to dial 111 for emergency drainage.

Several visits to doc (8 different docs in total)...had DRE twice (first one painful, 2nd not) and reported as 'normal', all said might be a prostate infection or UTI and tried 3 different AB's.  After 6 weeks a doc said I had prostatitis and to get tested for STD, so I did and was positive for Chlamydia.  Given doxy for 1 week by GUM clinic...no improvement.  Back to doc and given Doxy and Flomax for 4 weeks.  No change.

Went back to doc after 4 weeks...referred for Ultrasound and flow test...Ultrasound all clear, prostate normal size, bladder emptying, kidneys normal, flow rate up and down like a yo-yo.

Continued to self medicate with Doxy

Back to doc again (Feb)...referred to URO for suspected stricture and earliest appointment is 29th May 2015 (70 day wait, nice one NHS!)

4 weeks ago URO wrote to doc and copied me in on the letter and suggested flow test is indicative of prostate problems and suggested 4 weeks of CIPRO and a different alpha blocker

Now 3 weeks into CIPRO and Xatral alpha blocker - ZERO improvement (if anything it's gotten a little worse)

Have been self dilating with Hagar Sounds 5 inches in (can't get past the J curve with those sounds), no stricture found as can easily pass a 7mm/8mm - ZERO improvement apart from a slightly bigger pee hole :-)

Will be seeing URO 29th May and the situation boils down to this:

In 5 months no improvement, prostatitis pain mildly on and off for the first couple of weeks then vanished, penis tip ALWAYS red but now no burning, pathetic flow rate, getting started is a nightmare, after waking especially bad (just drips before flowing and sometimes completely blocked, have to walk around before can void), tingling sensation that comes and goes from pubic bone/bladder area.  Have had a few occasions where stream was reasonable if the bladder is pretty full but the pee muscle keeps shutting on and off no matter how hard I try to relax.

All this after a total of approx 12 weeks on AB's and 7 weeks on Alpha Blockers.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I am now concerned I have an aggressive prostate cancer/BPH and have ordered a home PSA test and a set of Van Burren sounds to attempt to dilate myself to the bladder neck

I've just done a strip test on my urine and shows 100% normal.

Doc said 'Don't worry it's not serious you're too young for cancer or BPH - whilst I appreciate his optimistic view the results speak for themselves - this is not going away and frankly it's screwing my life up big time)

Sexual function is normal yet a rather pathetic display on ejaculation if you know what I mean (unless it's been 2 weeks then there's a half decent display)

With the URO appointment still 6 weeks out I'm clutching at straws trying to solve this.

Any help, suggestions or advice would be appreciated.                            

Thanks

1 like, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

James, let me know how the book opens your mind and makes sense as to your issues. If you think it might be pelvic muscle floor syndrome, then show the book to your doctor or find one who knows more about it, because most docs do NOT have any or much knowledge on this. You could also google uroligists in your area adding pelvic muscle floor syndrome to you search.

Keep me posted!

Regards,

Bob

• Posted

Hi James.

I hope you are better ?

I am wondering how you have got on with your "dilema".

I myself at 53 some 8 weeks ago have had and am having recurring issues around , firstly enlarged prostate, followed by UTI , with continual infection and much discomfort when pee.

I was given over the first 4-5 weeks anti b`'s which seemingly have not worked.

Also on tamsolosin every day which I think does make the process of peeing easier ?

I have been taking zinc saw pal ginseng and have cut out all caffeine alcohol and gluten.

I also take flax seed oil and coconut oil nearly every day.

Also Brazil nuts as they are high on selenium which I have been told by a nutritionist feds the prostate.

I also take kefir goats milk which is a super probiotic.

My father died 9 weeks ago to prostate cancer which lasted 10 years.

So, I am going back fod more psa count today and have another appt with doc later in week. My 6 th or so. I am not wanting any more anti biotic.

Please can you tell me where you are at and way forward.

As you can imagine very anxious and peed off.

Thank you so much

Sean. Aberdeenshire Scotland

• Posted

Hello everyone

My name is paul and I've suffered from kidney stones all my life since my 20's

I'm now 49 and I had a 9 mm stone

I needed surgery and they used a cystoscopy laser in my ureter

When I woke up from surgery I was like thank you lord I'm still here lol

I went home with a ureter stent

Alittle pain urinating for the first 3 days or so then got better

A week after the surgery I went back to my urologist for the removal of the stent

Nurse comes in with a syringe filled with anesthetic gel she squeezed into my manhood urethra

She put a clamp on my head so nothing leaked out and as she was leaving said the doctor will be in 5 minutes

I felt like omg here goes nothing

I told him to wait a couple more minutes to make sure I was completely numb

He did and he put the scope down my urethra with nurse in the room

He tell her tighten now then doctor pulls like he was starting a lawnmower I'm like wtf

They missed

The stent wasn't on the cystoscope

I'm like wow is it done

He replied no we missed

We have to go back in

This time the got it

Thank you Jesus I said

So I was fine after 2 days flow was good pain was minimal

11 days after my stent removal I had burning in my bladder

Then to my urethra

Doctor did a uti test which was negative

Later that week I told him my urine flow and pain is not right

He said you probably have a fragment of the stone we broke up making its way out

He ordered a catscan and did a sonogram both showing everything normal

I'm like doctor I can't per right

Plus I have to go to bathroom every minute

Only 1oz would come out if I'm lucky

The sensation of having to go to the bathroom has a new meaning for me now

I had to go so bad feeling was with my for days

Then on the 6th day after all this saga

I woke up at 4 am and I went originally only for a few seconds then something happened it came out really slowly but I was able to go for a minute straight with a slow flow

Now it's better that at least I can void

Only 2oz to 6oz

It's 23 days after my stent was removed

And I'm feeling the pain only in my urethra

So I don't have the feeling of urgency anymore so that pain is gone now but flow issues still remain

Last night I went to bathroom this time was the first time I went where my bladder released then stopped then I went again

6 times on one bathroom trip

Only 4 oz combined came out

My doctor says catscan is fine

We will need to go in and look again with the scope

I'm like no I'm too soar inside my urethra

I know my body it has to heal first

He said well then call me when your ready

My uncle is a retired md and he told my insides are beat up

Give it time to heal if it is a stricture the scope will make it worse where you need another surgery to remove the strictures by using a metal tube to expand my urethra by stretching the insides

I never signed up for all this so I'm not going back for that scope

I believe when dr pulled on the stent like he was starting a lawnmower ruined my life

I brought easy flow tea on Amazon and D mannose and I'm also taking aloe juice twice a day

Please someone tell me something that can help here

I also have my testicles going up on into my body

Please tell me you guys had some salvation

I'm so upset I did this surgery

But doctor told me even though I wasn't in pain it could harm my kidney function and kidney could die

Too late now I did the surgery and here I am

This is a tragedy

I really don't want a cystoscope and that has been requested by doctor if I'm still in pain

For now I'm praying and hoping this gets better on it's own

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

• Posted

Paul first of all you should rest your body before anything else is done.  Your uncle is right.  The urethra is bruse and neal to heal more.  I have a stricture from kidney surgery when I was 47  I never know I had it till a few years ago they tryed to force a cather in and never got it in.  That hurt.  Just rest and drink alot of water and juice  We all heal at a different rate  Ken 
    • Posted

Thanks Ken

Is there anything other than flomax and Azo the doctor put me on

I'm concerned due to me going to bathroom then it stops and seconds later begins again

It's all new to me here

Only my urethra hurts and one testicle goes up like I've been in a ice cold pool

• Posted

Paul  I am sorry that your having this problem.  When I was 47 That is when I had my kidney stones taking care of  I had the stent put in also but they were taking out when I was out.  Had to go 3 weeks in a row for surgery That is why I have the stricture.  It is right before the prostate.  I would also go off the flomax it causes retro.  I did not like it.  Take the AZO that will help also ask the doctor about something else to relax the bladder.  You have to remember you just had surgery and going in and out of that area is painfull and it will not go away in a few days.  I think its the reaction to the surgery ( one testicle )  Take a hot bath and relax your body and let it heal my friend  Take care  Ken
  • Posted

Good morning,

I have been having the exact same symptoms and came across your post through googling. I wondered if you had an update at all?

My life has really been hit hard by this and am at a loss as to what to do now. I have had 2 cytoscopys, had all blood/urine tests, ultrasounds and nothing has been found. The tip of my penis is always red and burn everytime I urinate. I get the 'dribbling' through the day and suffer from really bad back and abdominal pain. This has been going on for just over a year now.

I feel the NHS have given up on me. I have recently been diagnosed with chronic prostatitis and prescribed 4 weeks of cipro and 2 weeks of doxy. A week in and the pain still remains (i had a 2 week course of cipro 6 months ago to no avail).

I cant hold down employment because of the discomfort and sex life with partner non existent since this started. I dont know whatelse I can do anymore.

I hope all is well with you

Thanks

Danny

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.