Non synthetic HRT

Posted , 2 users are following.

Can anyone recommend non synthetic HRT tablet/patch? Having my second ovary out in a couple of months. Having been perimenaupausla for a number of year and my first ovary removed due to a cyst which tortioned. The progesterone element in the Elleste Duet I was on is a killer for me - I turn into some raging mad woman.....no suggetion that they take the womb out at the same time so I could just have estrogen. So some progesterone is needed. Also have a history of sever osteoperosis in the family. I have experienced real problems with my weight as well and have heard that the non synthetic HRT is better for this.

Any help gratefull recieved.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Try researching Bio-identical hormone replacement therapy.  I just recently found out Im starting menopause at 46 naturally. I donot want man made drugs like synthetic hormones.  Everyone is different on how they want to treat their symptoms.  Mine are kinda extreme at the moment.  No hot flashes or night sweats.  But moods. An joint pain, hurt all over, facial hair, dry skin, hair loss kinda.  Mad, crying, depressed, agitated. But Im also tapering off an anti-anxiety med @ the same time! Dbl wammy! So Iv researched an decided to try the bio-identical.  I will be taking a saliva test on Thurs.. mail it in an lab will contact my compounding pharmacists an she will tell me what my levels are on all 3 hormones. Then create the rx an I will take it to my Ob/Gyn an he will write the rx an then pharmacists will create either a cream or vaginal suppository. I just dont like a "one size fits all" pills. You should only be on as short time as possible.  No longer than 5 yrs. For symptoms only. But different for everyone.  Thats what Im gonna do. Sure hope it helps me feel better! I'm 46.
    • Posted

Thanks. I will be looking into this more. At the moment I am looking at Oestrogel, a transdermal testosterone and then Utrogestan for the progesterone element. hope you find something that works for you.
    • Posted

R u in the U.S.? I'm not familiar with those meds you mentioned. R they synthetic or more bio-identical?  What symptoms are you having an when did you start menopause.  Im new to all this. Just found out two wks ago im beginning menopause.  No period now for 3 mnths. An all the above symptoms I mentioned in earlier post. Dont mean to be intrusive. Just curious about it all. Hope those meds work for you!
    • Posted

Hi Zio10

I'm in the UK, Looking at a different delivery method for me have been on Elleste Duet for some time as I had one ovary removed 5 years ago and a history of Osteoperosis in the family and was already perimenopausal (night sweats/light or non existent bleeds/thinning hair/crying etc very similar to you). I wanted to take less estrogen and so decided a gel would be better as there you need less of the hormone to have the same effect and it isn't altered as it works through your body. you can also tailor the dose a bit better by using more or less of the gel. Progesterone element just doesn't agree with me. The  Utrogestan is, I understand, the only bio-identical progesterone licenced in the UK so though this may suit me better. As I am having my second ovary removed and my uterus is remaining - not quite sure why they can't take that too?! I'll need some form of progesterone and want to go for a bio-identical - a choice of one. The testosterone bit is needed as the ovaries produce that too. Can't afford to go down the 'designer' route here and from what I have read it is very difficult to get it right as the hormaone levels can change daily so think I may be better of making the slight adjustments myself with the gels til I feel right! If I need that replacement forever so be it - sure beats the hell out of feeling like I am. I see it as replacing something missing, a bit like a diabetic with insulin. another reason for trying to avoid anything too synthetic. 

Hope you manage to find something that works for you, I think I will come back a man next time.....no-one tells you how horrible hormones are and how it affects your life UGH!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.