Non typical shingles?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all, im not sure if what im experiencing is shingles or not as its not typical but here we go....

ive had shingles 2x the usual rash and band of pain on my upper back etc, but this is different... 5 weeks ago l started getting burning sensations in both my legs, not painful but almost like there's an icy blast on them, lower back was very achy. Went to chiropractor but she said everything was moving good and suggested possible internal shingles? went to Dr but Dr said no thats not possible without a rash... (yes it is) so have been referred to a neurologist, in the meantime tonight l noticed a small itchy bump and 2 tiny dots above it right in the centre of my spine. im pretty sure the lump was there last week but took no notice. Now im wondering if l do have a bout of shingles but non-typical? Anyone else had anything like this?

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

leah1197 have you seen the neurologist yet? yes to answer your ? I only had one tiny red dot on my back and the itching was overwhelming. there are medications that can help . also just wanted to mention if you were offered the vaccine for shingles even after a break out. that is what i had and it has lessoned the frequency and recurrence. i also had hip surgery and some nerve damage from that, it a bit of tingling and sharp pains that are quite debilitating at times as well as i also have psoriasis. So for itching i take hydroxyzine and use numbing spray helps tremendously. its also helpful to allow the sun to shine on the area for short periods no burning and or vit-D3.... other than that none of the viral meds help at all . i usually have one or two flares a year. it hit me at a younger age than most and its always a issue that stops me in my tracks to annoy at times and it can be like having the flue other times.

hoping you find some better answers to help you thru this life long complication from chicken pox.

• Edited

Hi, no haven't seen the neurologist yet. Im only in my early 40s first bout l was about 35 so pretty young too. l know what u mean about it being like the flu. the last time l had it l didnt have meds and was floored for 6 weeks! lm really not sure what is causing my burning legs but hope l can get some answers soon. thanks for the advice appreciate it 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.