Non-ulcer Dyspepsia and Slippery Elm

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has anyone tried slippery elm for their sensitive or irritated stomach? I've read several forums where people have found this natural remedy helpful.

Does anyone take slippery elm and proton pump inhibitors? I know you should take prescription medications 1 hour prior to or several hours after consumption of slippery elm. Just wondering this combination has been helpful for from people. Looking forward to hearing from you smile

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am currently taking omeprazole 20mg am and 10mg evening. I just started taking slippery elm yesterday along with DGL and Pepzin GI. I take the slippery elm between meals and before bedtime. The DGL I take before meals, and the pepzin GI I take with breakfast and dinner. I'm going to give it a week or so and re-evaluate. I see you posted this a month ago. Have you tried the slippery elm yet?
    • Posted

Yes I have tried everything possible nothing made a difference. Maybe I just have to know that my tummy will take a long time to heal.

Once I stop focusing on the negative of I my condition it might fade. It's just hard when everyday I wake with queesy feelings and not feeling 100% .

Thx for your reply

• Posted

I thought it might be worth mentioning this. A few weeks back at my last GI appt my doctor prescribed Nortriptyline. I had 2 weeks of feeling 100% but had some side effects such as itching.. After going online I read many people who had side effects and many who didn't. There was quite a few people who take the medicine for years and have been completely pain free. Before taking nortriptyline I was making progress week by week, so I don't know if it was the nortriptyline or the omeprazole/sucralfate combo I was taking. It might be worth looking into. I was prescribed a low 10mg dose, taken daily before bedtime.
    • Posted

Hi

I use to take Lansoprazole same family as yours. I had taken it last year when I got Hoylori and a possible ulcer. Took it for 6 months went off it when my dr said Hpylori gone don't need to stay on. After stopping this PPI abruptly I created a severe case of acid reflux and I am sure a chronic cough. Going back on this med due to a rebound of acid reflux I would cough a lot and when trying to stop or reduce dose my cough subsided . Too crazy finally someone told me I need to wean off PPI's I did back early Sept and my cough has mostly disappeared . I get occasional heartburn a Tums takes care of it.

I know it's not what I am eating I eat very whole fresh foods... No dairy , meat or gluten !

It sure is s mystery for suresad

• Posted

That is nice to hear that you are not using PPI's anymore. I started slowly weanining last Friday. Morning and evening I take 20mg, now I'm taking 20mg in am and 10mg in the evening.

The nortriptyline medicine I mentioned is not a PPI though. It really might be worth looking into..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.