Non uro lift patient

Posted , 7 users are following.

Dr.say's my prostate has gone up into my bladder and I would only have a fifty /fifty chance of a successful operation.Any good alternatives out there?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Consider PAE. I had a pae by dr bagla earlier this year and have done great since. No risk of impotence or incontinence! He is the most experienced at this in the US
    • Posted

Hi Sam19730

Congratulations for your successful PAE. Kindly answer the following questions:

1- Have you also had your prostate gone into the bladder (median lobe protrusion).

2- For how long you have suffered from BPH symptoms ?

3- How fast you got your symptoms relieved?

4- How soon after PAE you resumed sex

5- Is your ejaculation same or better after PAE

6- Have you given up all BPH meds

Regards

FJ

• Posted

Your Dr. should be able to do sufficient research to determine what is best for you.
  • Posted

Great question re median lobe protrusion.  The incidence of success of the PAE (and many other procedures) in such cases is much, much lower.
    • Posted

I had a large median lobe and it worked well. I don't remember hearing that it doesn't work as well for this. Dr bagla can give an opinion on this better than me

• Posted

I think it's fairly well established.  The PAE works much better for those with large prostates but not those w/ an enlarged median lobe.  If yours worked well w/ an enlarged median lobe, I think it would have been even more successful had you not had that condition.  When I was shopping around both Dr. Isaacson and Dr. Bagla gave me much lower possibility of success because I had an enlarged median lobe.

I agree that it would be interesting to hear from the docs and see if anything has changed since then (about 1 1/2 - 2 years ago).

• Posted

My Urologist said that the same company that developed the UroLift was working on something to fix an enlarged median lobe,maybe in 6 months so I opted to wait and see.That was Fri.November 20.This getting old thing is getting old.Arlington.
    • Posted

Agreed!!!  Before this happended, I though 60 was the new 40!

That sounds very encouraging.  Please update us if you hear anything further.

Best of luck!

• Posted

Hi Jack08693

Good news about Utolift.

Do you if it would work for people who have done PAE and it didn't work because of Median lobe?

FJ

• Posted

Hi. My prostate had started to grow into the bladder which meant using a self-insert catheter didn't work well so I had a supra-pubic catheter for 3 months which worked well. I then had HoLep which has been 100% successful. So, find a good urologist who understands all the options and consider HoLep if feasible.

• Posted

Hi dai12345

Congratulations. Where did you have your HOLEP and how good it was the result?

FJ

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.