Non weight bearing - are you home alone?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 3 weeks post op with a minimum of 4 weeks non weight bearing.  I am lucky to live in a household with my hubby and 3 adult sons.  They all work but have been great however due to an ongoing injury to my knee on my non operated side I struggle to use the walking frame and rely on a wheelchair to get myself to and from the kitchen or toilet.  Although the wheelchair is a massive help to me I would be stuck upstairs (or vice versa) without the help of someone else.  During the day I am "home alone" whilst they are all at work. Is anyone else having a similar problem?  I wonder how people manage if they are on their own and are non weight bearing

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I was mainly home alone during the day and had a tray of goodies and a flask left for me once we had realised I couldn't do much for myself.  Also have some lovely friends who called in to make me cups of tea and bring treats.  My husband worked from home when he could also.

it is a difficult time and basically you just need to behave and follow instructions. Pre planning of meals and access to what you need is key.

good luck with your recovery.  It gets loads better as time passes and you get more mobile.

sue

• Posted

My eldest son is able to work from home two or three times a week but he is away this week and with everyone else out of the house during the day I have found this week to be one of the hardest in some ways.  I don't mind my own company and am keeping occupied it is just struggling to do the smallest of tasks.... everything takes so long!  You are lucky you have friends around as well to pop in to see you during the day.  I am sure I will look back on this time and wish I could put my feet up for a little while, life for me is usually very hectic!
    • Posted

You will! I am already thinking I should have been more productive with the time but felt very low at some points and lacked the drive to do anything.  Losing mobility is a huge thing coupled with uncertainty over recovery but it does improve. I feel like a completely different person and will need to build my confidence up again and get my life back on track. Very easy to feel isolated but this forum is helpful. I wish I had joined it earlier.

thinking of you!

• Posted

I am the same, I prepared a big bag full of clothes to sell on line and now have no motivation to list them, however I have the incentive to do it as we have booked a week away once I am at the end of the worst part of my recovery, but like you say, I get down as well, feeling quite low and lack the motivation!  I am sure I will have a moment and get spurred to do something!  I know what you mean about the isolation, it is nice to have other people to share experiences with smile
  • Posted

I was that way for three weeks. It was no fun and like you my family were really helpful - but out during the day. I used to have a rucksack with me all day to take essentials such as my phone and my iPad from room to room. I also put drinks into sealed containers to move them around. When you get your freedom (walking and using your hands at the same time) it will feel glorious and it will come soon! 
    • Posted

Oh yes I forgot about the rucksack.  That is a great tip.  You can put it on your back when you shuffle downstairs. Book iPad and phone...sorted.  I also wore sweatshirts with front pouch to have my phone with me!
    • Posted

Great tips from both you and Sue and much appreciated smile

I am hoping at my next appointment in 5 days (not that I'm counting!) I will be fitted with the heel shoe and from there get a little mobility back (very small baby steps)

• Posted

HI I am nonweight bearing post op week 3 plus one day. I had a bunionectomy, hammer toe repair, tendon transfer, I have 3 screws in my big toe, and 3 long screws in my foot for the bunion. I live with my husband and adult son they both work full time; leaving early in the morning and returning mid evening. I have a great idea for you. I use a knee scooter. I love it. It has become my best friend over this recovery period. It is light enough for me to fold and put on my shoulder or on my chest and get downstairs. We have a 3 story house, and I need to be on the middle floor during the day for food, ice, tv, etc. I bought my knee scooter on line, it weighs only 17 lbs. You can also rent them from a medical supply company. I don't know how old you are or if you are in the states or the US, but if you can get a knee scooter, you will have so much more easier independence. I don't think I will be weight bearing til week 6 or 7.  This surgery that we've all had is a long recovery. Hang in there, and if there's anything else I can help you with or chat to encourage you, just use this site to contact me. Happy healing. Hopefully we all will have functional feet after this smile
    • Posted

Thanks for the tip on the knee scooter.  I have seen a mention of this item before on this forum (possibly from you).  I am in the UK and this is something that isn't really available to purchase it would be a hire option and looks quite expensive but I appreciate the help and am glad you have your knee scooter to help you get around at home smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.