Non weight bearing for 4 months!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I need some serious help. I broke my 5th metatarsal in 2 places in my right foot may 20th. It's now almost 4 months later and I still have not been able to walk. I re broke it a few weeks in which made the process start over. I lost my insurance in July and was not able to see a Dr again for a long while so I didn't know I was able to attempt to walk ahain. When I finally went in a couple weeks ago they said my bones and muscles were starting to desintigrate due to non use for so long. I was never put in a cast from the beginning so I can't even bend my foot, move my toes, and my leg has lost all muscle to it. I've been in physical therapy for a couple of weeks but I'm starting to feel like I'll never walk again and I'm getting pretty discouraged. I still barely have any movement in my ankle or toes and have extreme pain while trying to put any weight on my foot. Any advice or anything at all?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi that sounds pretty drastic doesn't it, but you now know you need to get your muscles back up to scratch and the only way muscle's can be repaired is with exercise, can you not be fitted with a boot to help support foot, I am surprised you weren't issued one to start of with or at least had the foot strapped up, as for the bone disintegrating I don't know about that, where are you, can you not get any free health care??

• Posted

I'm sorry I wasn't thinking when I wrote that. My muscles are atrophied and I have no strength in my whole leg or foot.

• Posted

Not great but muscles can be rebuilt although it takes time, I keep trying to overdo it and end up creating more pain so going slower, you could try water therapy if that's possible, you didn't say where you are

• Posted

Dadsabrat, that is horrible honey I hate to hear of anyone who hasn't gotten care do to insurance, but I think that AlexandriaGizmo is right the bes thing to do is water therapy since everthing is about less weight and stress on your body. I hope you are where you can possibly do water therapy because at this point that would be the best way to start rebuilding your muscles so you can get them to work and get back to walking. Keep us informed and let us know how you are doing. God bless and I hope things get better soon.....

• Posted

Thank you! I'm not able to do water therapy but I did have another physical therapy appointment today where I started walking! Very few steps and only with my boot on and it was very painful but it's something!

• Posted

Well Honey, I wish you all the best and I hope everything gets better really soon, I can tell you are a very strong person just keep pressing on and I hope to read on here very soon that you are back to yourself and walking up a storm. May God bless and keep you is my prayers. Keep us updated and let us know how you progress.
    • Posted

That's great news, baby steps lead back to where you were, I had xray yesterday and praying to God that its possible for me to start weight bearing as I'm 10 weeks post break and feel useless.

Good luck

• Posted

I'm almost at 17 now. I feel your pain so much. I had to quit my job because I couldn't drive, the whole summer has been the literal definition of miserable for me and my toddler, not a single bill has been paid due to no job, birthday was miserable due to no money, food has been scarce, and I've found what friends were real friends since most of them couldn't spend 2 seconds with me all summer since I couldn't go out.

I know the useless feeling. Can't even get around the house. Can't make it to the kitchen without great effort. I've given up eating until someone comes over. I keep day dreaming about when I can wall ahain. I think I'll cry.

• Posted

Oh dear what a pair, how or what have you done, mines my hip, I hope that there's light at the end of your tunnel, I thought maybe 6 / 8 weeks at most but want know till Friday and really scared that the Dr at hospital threw at me that I would never walk again and I fear he was right but hope physio is right that although it will take time it will happen, how's your healing going on xray

Message me if you want,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.