nondisplaced distal fibula fracture

Posted , 15 users are following.

Day 0 (04/28/2016), Fell on a very steep concrete slope when fishing. Very intense and severe pain, but managed to walk 

to my car (using my toe) and drove home in pain. Wife drove me to ER and diagnozed as nondisplaced distal fibula 

fracture (~ half an each above the ankle). Went home with a walking boot and crutches. 

(between day 0, I stayed in bed mostly)

Day 4: saw a bone doctor. He reviewed X-ray from the ER and said the fracture was stable. He also said I could put 

weight on it immediately. Went home with the same walking boot. Also told that I could take the boot off when sleep.

(between day 5 and 12, no weight bearing at all. Swelling got better, but bruises everywhere on my right foot and quite 

a lot of pain on the foot and ankle) 

Day 11: I went to the doctor's office in a wheelchair. He was surprised... X-rayed again and no displacement observed. 

Went home with the same boot and crutches. Next appointment 06/06/2016.

Day 14: started to bear weight and felt much better. 

Day 20: could walk a few steps with limp but without crutches. However, most of the time, I did walk with both crutches. 

Pain has been gone. 

Day 28: didn't show much progress compared to previous week. when I walked 2 steps without crutches in the both room, I 

felt a little bit pain around the injured ankle when limped. Immediately stopped walking. laid in bed for a few hours 

and experienced 3-4 times of short, slight pain (each time, the pain lasted ~10-20 second). This really got me concern. 

I drove to the doctor's office. He was on vacation. 

Day 29 (now): laid in bed mostly and in great fear. similar to yesterday, I experienced several times of short and 

slight pain. tried to feel the injured ankle with my hand and the bony place felt a little warm (not sure whether the warm has been there all of the time). 

My next appointment is 06/06/2016. Right now, I am really concerned. I don't know whether or not the fracture was 

displaced.... (I have been on unpaid leave and have mortgage and bills to pay. I am anxious to go back to work. I don't know whether this would put my recovery back a few weeks). 

Any comments are welcome.  

0 likes, 136 replies

136 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Your situation sounds exactly like mine and I'm wondering what has happened since that 6/6/16 appointment.  Any information would be very helpful.  I am feeling so depressed because I am having a terrible time sleeping and all night and in the morning the pain is terrible.  The swelling is down so I amm advised not to use ice, although I think that helped it to feel better.  Thanks for an update on your situation because it sounds exactly like mine.  I did not require surgery just like you.

• Posted

How are you feeling? I fractured the distal fibula on my left ankle. I walked on it (sort of) for 2 days, before getting the dx of a non displaced fracture. They put me in a boot on day 2, saw ortho on day 3. Was told to stay in the boot and use crutches. I am on day 13, saw ortho 3 days ago and was told it is healing, stay on the same course. Over the past several days, my pain has increased and trying to get comfortable at night is nearly impossible. I really hope this gets better soon. Also 3 days ago, we sold our home and will be moving in about 90 days. I really hope my husband will be able to get some help from me! frown

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.