Noninvasive tests for IBS and naturo paths

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've gone to a GI doc and he confirmed my diagnosis without tests, but I wasn't too impressed with him and felt that he wasn't as informed as he could've/should've been and really only prescribed an expensive probiotic that stopped working after 2 weeks and an anti-spasmodic that doesn't help me treat the underlying cause of my presumed IBS.

I'm planning on asking my GP for a recommendation for a nutritionist/dietitian and/or naturo path doc to help with an elimination diet. 

But I also read somewhere that they can do a blood tests to find elevated markers that show up with 90% accuracy in those with IBS and celiac's I believe. http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/294195.php

So I'm going to bring this up to my GP and see if he'll do that and maybe even a SIBO test too.

Any thoughts/recommendations anyone?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

See your doctor,  don't do anything on your own. 

• Posted

Hi,

When I first went to the doctor with symptoms I had to provide a stool sample and bloods. I couldn't tell you the results but the doc said it was likely IBS. I've been again recently and although doc was pretty certain it is IBS he suggested doing more bloods and an ultrasound (external & internal - I'm female) which I have next week.

Don't know if this will help you, just wanted to give you an idea of what tests can be done.

As I'm sure you're aware there is no specific test for IBS, but generally (so I'm told) doctors like to do a number of tests to rule out everything else so they can give a firm diagnosis of IBS.

I'd definitely recommend asking for blood tests and see if your doc can recommend any other tests to rule out other illnesses.

Good luck smile

• Posted

Thanks for the advice. Ill bring this up to my GP when I have my appt in a couple weeks. Hopefully they won't just send me back to the same GI doc that didn't really seem to do much.

• Posted

There is no blood test that detects IBS. It is diagnosed based on your symptoms or after tests have been done to exclude other conditions.
  • Posted

I wouldn't get your hopes up. That article states those markers are present after food poisoning, and were elevated in some IBS patients so might help with diagnosis. Very vague. Because true IBS is a FUNCTIONAL disorder, here are no tests. All you can do is rule out other things first.

There is no harm in going to a dietician to help you do an elimination diet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.