Nonstop Migraines

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello Ladies,

I have been having migraines since Saturday when my period started. I don't usually get them with my period but I got them with last months period and then this time. I hope this is not a new thing now with my cycle. They start in the middle of the day and come and go all day long. Today was really bad. I don't know how to make it stop. What have any of you tried that really helps? This really has me down.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hello,  migraines are a b***h.  Mine are weather and cycle related.  I get them in the middle of the night a lot.  UGH!  The best non prescription thing I find is excedrin tension headache.  I get rebound headaches too if I use medication more than twice a week...but excedrin helps.  I am also on an AD, but weaning off...it actually cut down my migraine days by half.  Just not helping my vertigo!  
    • Posted

Hi Lou, I can't take Excedrin because it contains caffeine and aspirin. The caffeine makes my heart race and the aspirin interferes with my other medications.

• Posted

Oh ok! Bummer!  The tension formula is aspirin free.  But, yes does has some caffeine 
  • Posted

The best pill is MAXALT  you can just take 1/2 of a 10mg. Migraine gone in 30 mins !

My mom sends them from the UK as they are very expensive $50 a pill in USA! Your insurance may cover them though . My migraines last for days and go from one side to another. 

• Posted

Hi there,  I too have started having migraines during the dreaded cycle time.  Just a few days ago I had this horrible pressure in the back of my head and also felt like a piercing in my eye.  Pain radiated to my neck and shoulders.  I didn't have any ibuprofin on hand, so I took a nerve pain pill I was prescribed for shingles.  It makes me very drowsy, but I had to get my sleep and take the edge off the pain.  The pain subsided, but the pressure in the back of my head lasted for a couple days.  My body goes through some major chaos during my cycles, to the extent that I feel I may end up in the ER.  Sometimes I wonder how I survive it, then I realize ONLY GOD!  Praying you find some relief. 

• Posted

Hello 4withGod,

Yes our cycles can make us feel like we are at death's door sometimes. I have always had horrible periods. But now that I'm older and going through peri my periods have been accompanied by some strange symptoms. Last months period brought on a migraine. This month was the same thing. Then on top of that I caught a chest cold from being out in the rain last week. My blood pressure was up because of the headaches. My doctor just switched my BP medication because I thought the previous one was giving me headaches. Now this new one she prescribed, the main side effects is guessed what, headaches! My anxiety has been up which only makes things worse. I can't wait until all of this is over.

• Posted

Hi Sharcerv - If you wouldn’t mind telling me what B/P RX you were on & got switched to...I have been on a couple & one gave me loads of side effects - hope that’s not the one you are on - 

• Posted

I was taking Valsartan 160mg, generic for Diovan. The pharmacy called me and said that there was a recall on it and to have my doctor prescribe something else. So she prescribed Carvedilol which is generic for Correg. This is the one that I thought was starting my headaches. So I asked her to switch me to something else. So she just put me on Isosorbide generic for Imdur. These really gave me horrible migraines. So I don't know what to do. I also take a low dose of hydrachlorithiazide as a water pill. I think I will just ask her to either increase the water pill and let that be the only one or find me something else altogether. I know she's getting tired of me.

• Posted

Hi there Sharcerv - it appears your dr has you on a steady diet of Beta Blockers, it even lists as a side fact that it can cause headaches.  Have you ever experienced shortness of breath on them?  Just so you know, you should not abruptly stop taking beta blockers.  All these stupid blood pressure RX’s have yucky side effects.  Whatever your dr decides, don’t let her prescribe amlodipine - just google it on this patient forum - bad, bad side effects...I know, I was on it for 5 years, off a year - have you tried taking magnesium & beetroot capsules to help lower your B/P? - meditation works too along with all the bloody lifestyle changes we need to make - good luck! 

• Posted

Yes, I was on Amlodipine a few years ago and it gave me terrible anxiety, heart palpitations and panic attacks. I got off those as soon as possible. I have some beet root capsules. I don't want to have to take any blood pressure medication. They all have crazy side effects. My blood pressure was never a problem until peri hit. I want my old body back. 😭

• Posted

Hi Sharcerv - I can’t agree with you more about all these B/P RX’s and pretty much all RX’s in general - they all come with side effects.  Yes, I have been told menopause affects blood pressure & blood sugar....imbalanced hormones play a vital part in our overall health.  I want my old body back & I just wish I would have been a little more educated about hormones & B/P back when I was first put on B/P RX’s 6 years ago...funny, that’s exactly when I stopped my period.  

• Posted

only paracetamol and  lying down are helping me ...some days my headaches are really bad! Usually on my forehead , other times the pain radiates to my neck others I feel my  whole head too heavy!

During period our estradiol is at lowest level so there is an explanation

• Posted

Yes, interestingly enough I just read an article on this last night. It was about menstrual migraines. It said that our oestrogen drops during the onset of our periods and this causes migraines. It said that during peri, our oestrogen fluctuates which is why we suffer with it during peri but after menopause when the hormones finally settle, then the migraines dissipate.
    • Posted

Yes that’s so true I don’t get as many since my periods have stopped . They were debilitating and lasted for days 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.