Normal?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had my hip replacement surgery last week March 6 2019. The swelling is worse now than it was when I was in the hospital. I phoned my surgeon and was told this is normal. I had a hard time getting into my truck at the hospital and it felt like I tweaked something. Any experience with excessive swelling? Finding this alot harder than anticipated.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

You do worry about doing something but its early days mine was swollen for a while had to keep the stockings on for 6 weeks .. l think the first 8 weeks seem the worst not been able to do much every move l think you worry at first . I still worry if l do too much .

Take care it will get better Linda

• Posted

Dear Ernie,

I had some swelling after my THR last Feb. Hard to know what excessive is because it felt giant and heavy. Remember you just went through a serious major surgery involving bone and soft tissue so swelling is a necessary part of healing those new parts to your bone and your tissues together again. My go to fix was always ice packs. Keep several ice packets in the freezer so you can rotate them - 20mins on 20mins off is what they told me. Boring but quite effective for pain and swelling. Kept my use of pain pills way down because the pills have their own nasty side effects, like constipation, dizzy, kept me awake, felt weird. Take a couple to bed, wrap your hip and go to sleep. Give your hip a chance to reorganize and heal. it does take time, and it will take time whether or not you want it to or not. if you push too hard you will find you have to start over again. Reread those written post op instructions and what they say to look for. And if you think things are not right, insist on seeing the surgeon or the nurse to check your wound. I suspect a lot of us are like this: it feels good so I must be healed. not always so. When I was 10 weeks post op on last mothers day our only daughter died suddenly. We had to clean out her house and get her things in order and in the process I did way too much as they would recommend at 10 weeks, lifting and moving stuff. I paid the price physically. So give yourself time, rest and ice.

• Posted

Hi

I am just over 5 weeks and had a far bit of swelling. Its getting better but do still have some. Ice is good as well as lying flat on your back. But keep an eye on it but for some of us it just takes a little longer than others.

Ann

• Posted

Thanks for the responses. i am finding this whole thing a lot harder than I anticipated. it is nice to have people who are going through the same things as points of reference. Have my first physio appointment tomorrow morning. that should be interesting.

• Posted

Tomorrow will be 11 weeks post-op TRHP. I never thought I would get to where I am now. I also developed AVN in the year that I explored other options. It is a physical and emotional roller coaster. Keep doing the recommended pt, use ice and be kind and patient with yourself. This too shall pass and you'll be amazed at how far you've come. I will be turning 67 in May, and I get frustrated that I become more fatigued than before surgery. I had been very active. And then I remind myself that it's not even 3 months after a major surgery.

Good luck!

Georgette

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.