Normal EBV test

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was originally diagnosed with glandular fever through a positive mono spot. I had an EBV blood test but the results came back normal for past infection and current infection. Has anyone else had this and still felt the effects of glandular fever 5 weeks on?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I was tested for mono and it came back negative, but the symptoms I've had over the past 6/7 weeks could almost be identical. So I guess that tests can come back false negative? (Not a doctor or medical advice etc).

Either that or I've got something else going on, seeing an ENT soon though hopefully.

• Posted

Hi Paige,

I'm not sure of the difference to be honest between monospot and EBV test, I thought it was more or less the same thing. But yes when mines showed active for EBV, then a few weeks later it showed normal again, I think that can be very normal. Hang in there and still thinking about you.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig, I had a positive mono spot and then an EBV test which shows if it is a current or past infection and both came back normal which suggests I never had mono? As to have mono you have to been infected with EBV. This is so worrying as the possible causes of a false positive are not good sad
    • Posted

HI Paige,

I see what you mean regarding the two tests, I'm not really sure to be honest with blood tests but there are other viruses that can cause similar type mono type illnesses, CMV is one I think, most people it's EBV but it's best to discuss with your doctor - remember you ARE going to get better and get through this, regardless of what blood tests do or don't say - I 100% believe this for you Paige, hang in there and thinking of you. Remember just to take deep breaths and try relaxation techniques when feeling bad.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.