Normal EKG but still heart thumps/palpitations

Posted , 5 users are following.

Well as by the title you can see I went to get an EKG and it came back normal but im still having heart palpitations. Basically the nurse told me it's more than likely due to stress. Well I haven't been getting that much rest lately and I work with dogs and I constantly have to keep yelling and correcting them and I don't get enough sleep. I'm also diabetic but my A1C is excellent. Idk It's like I started having heart palpitations after I found out I was diabetic at 13 and I kept diagonosing myself with things and I also was recently diagnosed with GERD. But these palpitations happen out of nowhere and I can feel them in my left arm and it twitches (idk if it's a muscle spasm or not ) but also sometimes when I'm jumping around doing things underneath my breast itt aches for a bit and my left arm feels weird but then I relax myself and it stops. Please help I'm soooo scared I think my Ekg didn't pick something up or I'm just being scared but with physicals wouldn't my doctors pick something up with blood work and listening to my heart?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

The NHS 24 hour ECGs didnt pick up my arrhytmias because I wasnt having them on those particular days, so I bought my own little hand held ECG machine, that way, when I had the palpitations, I could record them on my machine, and then showed them to the doctors who then took my complaints very seriously as it turned out to be VT. Regarding being diagnosed with stress, read the following BHF link, No need to think the worst at this stage though, you might have nothing, this is just the way I discovered I did have something, doesnt mean you have though so dont stress  https://www.bhf.org.uk/news-from-the-bhf/news-archive/2017/july/deadly-heart-conditions-being-attributed-to-stress-and-anxiety

• Posted

That seems a very good investment. The hand held ecg machine. Have been having similar problems with chest pains and ecgs etc coming back clear. This being so, I am prepared to invest in such a machine. Is there one you could recommend or suggest one with certain functions as being preferable...?
    • Posted

The one I have had for probably about a year now, and that I use multiple times a day, is called a Prince 180B

I have been able to compare it with NHS machines in both ambulance, and hospital bedside overhead monitor, and it reads exactly the same.

Only critism is that the written observations the machine make are of no real use, just ignore them, and it takes some converting to be able to convert the information it downloads into its own programme on my computer, into something that can be e-mailed, it is easy to print but to change into a JPEG, you have to select PDF as your printer, then convert from the PDF file, but it can be done. Click on the little image below to see one of the ECG's it took of me and that I succesfully converted to a JPEG. When your ECG starts to look like this, the ambulance goes faster!  

• Posted

Thanks for this. It should help me to get a better knowledge in what is happening internally to me. And you're right. If I can provide evidence, should there be any, it just might save my life. That's worth investing in..so thanks again for this..

• Posted

Also Google 'Kardia Mobile" that you attach to a smrt phone or a ipad. But check with them that your one is compatible with it.

• Posted

Forgot to ask. Do you know if this device can indicate bradycardia or heart failure. My biggest fears right now..
    • Posted

If this indicated a problem with my heart and its writings,would

You need to show the reading in a Printout or would the data

recorded on this device be sufficient for a doctor to be persuaded

• Posted

The device I recommended tells you your heart rate so certainly would indicate bradycardia. I think an expert would be needed to indicate heart failure.
    • Posted

If it did indicate bradycardia then the doctors might be more willing to do additional tests that might indicate heart failure if it exists...?
    • Posted

As an example, I showed my GP an ecg that showed my heart rate as 53 bpm which is in the range of bradycardia, he wasnt bothered at all, with me, it was the ectopic beats the device was recording that put me on the heart failure radar. A slow heartbeat can just as easily be the sign of a very fit and strong heart such as endurance atheletes have, What is your heart beat?, you dont need an expensive device for that, cxan you take or see your pulse and use a stopwatch to count?, or just get a small device that measures your pulse if you are not also getting palpitations.

• Posted

My pulse rate can sometimes go below 60, sometimes under 50, and I am constantly feeling tired and exhausted and generally unwell in myself, and have a dull constant pain in my chest, which I have had for years but that they haven't been able to diagnose as related to any actual heart problems. 

Have had an echocardiogram, various ecgs and 24 hour monitoring ecg device which all came back as clear. The report mentioned things like, sinus rhythms seen throughout recording with sinus arrhythmic? And a few episodes of sinus bradycardia. Longest 7 beats, slowest 38bpm. 1 isolated ventricular ectopic and a few isolated atrial ectopics. Heart Beats 1 min avg, max hr 69bpm, min hr 43bpm. Tachycardia 0.

Not sure what any of these mean, but did request a stress cardiac examination, as I can struggle at times when walking and my speed is quite slow these days because I feel so unwell, but the doctor refused this saying the result above didn't indicate anything despite all these symptoms. Am under a lot of stress, for decades now, which has released a lot of stress hormones with resultant damage. Doctors not very helpful, hence my wish to buy a hand held ecg..

• Posted

Google is your friend. Sinus arrhythmia is a change in the heart beat as a result of breathing, I get this slightly, I think its only a problem when your heart beat rythm changes not as a result of breathing. A single ectopic beat might be just something benign which was my first diagnosis, but graduly these joined together to become Ventricular tachycardia. Another thing worth considering is Chronic Fatigue Syndrome which can cause heart symptoms as well.
    • Posted

Just checked online regarding chronic fatigue syndrome. It says that it could be related to stress and emotional trauma, so these could be factors. There doesn't appear to be a way of diagnosing this though. Not sure what the long term effects are of recovering a little if the stresses in one's life can be removed? Will see if I can check that online...

• Posted

Yelling at dogs is not the way to correct them.
    • Posted

Sometimes when they're fighting and being loud all together , it is.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.