Normal feelings ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

I've been taking Prozac for almost 8 weeks now. I seem to be more upbeat. But I'm still having days where I'm wobbly. I take 20mg once a day. I get these anxiety attacks. But mine arnt the norm. I just get hours of feeling short of breath and the constant need to take a big sigh or breath in. It's so tiring. I usually take a diazepam 5mg and it can settle it. But they are quite short lived and wear off. My question is, should the Prozac stop these shortness of breath episodes or will they just bring my moods up ? Like I say I definitely feel brighter. But these shortness of breath episodes are crippling me again. Should I be posting this in the anxiety forum as opposed to here ? Sorry if it's wrong forum.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi - I get the shortness of breath too . They are exhausting , then I tend to get palpations to follow which can last hours. It's usually starts when I out somewhere from home. I did t want to take diazepam as they make you sleepy and my doc did not want to give me them . That sounds like gene rises anxiety which the fluoxetine should help I would of thought.

• Posted

I take propranlol with mine as I got rapid heart beat and shortness breath when I took my 20mg. i've been on them since June and they have helped enormously. Still get odd blip day But nothing like before give it time, don't rush getting better take everyday as it comes.

• Posted

I think the fact you are feeling more upbeat is a really good sign... are you taking them for depression or anxiety, or both? I've started mine almost 3 weeks ago, i feel slightly better but still a long way from where i want to be. Do you find the shortness of breath/anxiety episodes happen at particular times or places? 

• Posted

I can get the shortness of breath anytime of day and rarely sometimes in the night. I take Prozac for both depression and anxiety. The depression after 8 weeks has got a lot better. But it hasn't helped with my anxiety. Do people take anything else besides anti depressants or alongside them to help with anxiety or panic attacks ?

• Posted

I only take fluoxetine for anxiety x going to try CBT - I was diagnosed with anxiety over 10 years ago . It will get easier tablets will kick in properly . Deep breathing and relaxation and also distraction will help x
  • Posted

I have read that when the dose is upped, it sometimes causes that level of anxiety. Did you start off at 10 mg and notice the anxiety start when you upped the dose? That's why I don't want to increase my dose and I am seeing my doc in a couple of days. If he says to increase, I will be going to 15, not 20 right off the bat. But I feel okay now, just a bit LAZY...maybe that's supposed to happen? LOL!! But anxiety is the WORST, I know. I was suffering from it nightly. But I haven't had any side effects and that's probably because I'm only on 10 mg. If I got anxiety, I'd have to stop taking the med unless I got over it real quick. I'd like to know how long it took to stop your anxiety, okay? 

• Posted

Hi I started straight on 20 mg still got some anxiety after 4 and a half weeks . Docs have said 6 weeks for it fully work .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.