Normal for more pain at night?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have found nights are harder to deal with the pain. Is this normal? I thought last might wasbecause of dr messing with wound but tinite seems more pain as well.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Pretty normal to have pain at night and problems sleeping. I used sleeping pills because I didn't tolerate the Vicodin
  • Posted

Hi Cathy,

i had a bilateral tkr 6 months ago.  I to, found the pain worse at night.  It would wake me but just in one knee.  Also, my scars were really sore to touch.  I never understood much about "the bend" because I didn't have physio after leaving hospital and I've had the last 3 consultations with surgeon postponed ( public system stinks).  A few nights ago, my cat was scratching something under my bed, I was concerned but couldn't see.  I managed to get down on both knees.  The pain was awful.  First time kneeling but since then, the scars don't hurt anymore and there's been no more night pain waking me.  I wish I could say I was pain free but still gets aches and stiffness when sitting too long but nothing like the before the op pain.

youre still pretty early on in your recovery so don't be disheartened.  I think everyone that's had the op talk about night pain.  I now know the bend is important.  It seems to stretch something and eased the discomfort.  

I wish you you all the best with your recovery.  It takes a long time.  Keep checking in on this forum and I'm sure you'll find there's people with horror stories and we are the lucky ones.

Sue xx

• Posted

Hi Carhy.  I had both knees replaced and yes night time pain was the worst. It resulted in lack of sleep and I ended up in my doctors office in tears.  They prescribed a muscle relaxer to take before bed and increased the pain med dose at bed time.  It helped a lot so call your doctor.  
  • Posted

Yes always seems to be worse at night. I hate taking painkillers in the early morning hours because I find they gave me heartburn. Instead I use a small wireless TENs for pain relief. Easily purchased at any pharmacy for a small price there are different ones for all types of body pain. I was using this before my op and it kept me going at work for some months and I was on my feet in retail. You can use this between taking painkillers as well.  Hope this helps but remember to consult your pharmacist to get the right one for you.
  • Posted

Cathy,

all people experience more pain at night, no matter what the pain is from.  Your mind has nothing else to focus on, so you hurt more.  I am 10 weeks po and still take Extra Strength Tylenol pm at night to help me sleep.  I do not really have pain now...more an uncomfortable feeling at times....and yes more at night.   Some nights it is worse than others...I have noticed it depends on how much I have done during the day also.

few things I did early on that seemed to help me....when I was allowed...I would jump in a hot shower just hot water rinse....right before bed.  Then I would get in bed and rub my leg....above and below the knee.  

Pam

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.