normal gfr by age

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am 63 and have CKD gfr22 but I went searching for the median gfr of a healthy 63 year old woman so I could compare the number.

I googled, normal gfr by age, the site is Kidney-international.org. I wish I could make these computer gadgets sing in French like my kids can and I would give you a link but I have no idea how to do that so I will give you as much information as I am able. So very sorry, I can Google and do research but don't know how to share. 

What I found was a study done in the Netherlands of healthy Caucasians. Just keep that in mind because my lab reports give a gfr for Blacks and a different gfr for Other.  Which means someone other than black? I think. Anyway, this study was done on 1660 males between the ages of 18-90 years of age.  2072 females between the ages of 18-90 years of age. Included 869 males and females over the age of 65. 

Women

Age.                   Median gfr.              range 

35-39.                    79.                              66-92

40-44.                    77.                              65-89

50-54.                    73.                              60-86

60-64.                    68.                               56-80

65-69.                    66.                                56-76

70-74.                    66.                                 55-77

75-79.                    62.                                 51-73

80-84.                    64.                                  50-78

Over 85.                59.                                  45-73

I just picked some ages but on the site they do cover all of them. Dang I wish I could share that site, the article is AWESOME!

As some of you my know, I also have arthritis and

Lupus and I am going through a real tough time, hurts pretty bad to type, I know there are many mistakes and I'm sorry. I'm also sorry that I have to give myself a break and come back to give you the numbers for the males. I really am sorry guys.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes those numbers reflect the average range for a person with "normal" functioning kidneys, WITH TWO KIDNEYS,  and just normal decline due to age.  If you have one kidney removed your GFR will easily not be in the normal range.  Many kidney doctors have published that your function for Creatinine could easily be in the 1.7 to 1.9 range (and thus your GFR Not within normal ranges), if one kidney is removed.  For many their Creatinine does not increase as much, and may lay around 1.3 to 1.5.  But the point is, you are asking one kidney to do the work of two and it takes time for it to achieve its peek performance, and that performance won't usually fall within a normal range.  You can be classified as CKD because of your numbers, but in fact the remaining kidney is NOT truly failing, it is just doing the best it can for the work it is given.  This is what my oncologist tells me, who is so against the entire GFR classification because it does not distinguish why your numbers are what they are.  It needs to have a set of numbers for "normal" people, a set of numbers for people with one totally healthy kidney, and a third set for people with one kidney that is truly failing.

• Posted

I agree Rick, the gfr system is flawed and if people don't,t know they freak out on NUMBERS. You having one good kidney should use one set of numbers and I having one kidney but it's failing, should have a different set of numbers. I just gave a 78 year old woman these numbers for healthy people with two kidneys so she could see that she is not sick with CKD, she's just old. She has great numbers for someone her age. YES we need gfr ranges in different categories.

• Posted

Rick, correct me if I'm wrong please.  A person with one healthy kidney can have up to 50% function, correct? Is it possible for ththem to gain more than 50% function, do you know what the maximum function on one kidney?

• Posted

Fran,

?My understanding is this.  A person may have 100% function of that one kidney (either born with one kidney, or donated one kidney so only one remains, or only one remains because the other was removed for medical reasons).  That one kidney may be functioning just as it always did or is expected considering the age of that person (as we get older our kidney function declines which is why there are different gfr "normal" levels based upon age). So now you can be a person with just one kidney, with a perfectly healthy kidney, and yet when you get your Creatinine levels checked, and therefore your gfr level created, the numbers are NOT in the normal range considering all publications.  Yes there are people who still get "normal" results when tested.  But remember the level of creatinine in your system is produced by a lot of factors.  A sedentary person produces less creatinine (less muscle usage), a person who drinks an excess of water shows less creatinine, your own heredity is an influence.  But more typically a person with one kidney will not get "normal" results of creatinine and gfr.  So  how then do you check the function of that remaining kidney.  Well if you get blood creatinine levels in excess of 1.9, on a regular basis, something is amiss.  If in your urine tests there is the presence of protein beyond a trace, then something is amiss.  If you see a steady decline in your test results, over a few testing cycles, then something is amiss.  And of course ultrasounds are a good test too.  Also considered is how long you have had just one kidney.  For example, if you have your kidney removed, for whatever reason and are left with one.  Your first few tests will produce a set of results.  The remaining kidney now Is trying to adjust to its new workload.  The kidney will actually enlarge and the "filters" will open more to try to handle the load.  This can take up to a year (my kidney doctor tells me) to finally achieve how big it will get.  So over this year you should see some improvement in your numbers (albeit slight) and then level off to a consistent set of numbers which are your new numbers.  If these new numbers remain fairly the same from test to test, then that is your own set of new numbers.  If they do not decline (do not vary much) and urine tests show no huge abnormalities, then the remaining kidney is doing it's job.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.