normal hemoglobin but low iron and saturation

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone! So I was diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia 8 months ago after having very heavy menstrual periods for a few months. My hemoglobin then was 10.9, my ferritin was 11, iron 27 and saturation was 6. I recently had blood work done to see where I'm at and my new numbers are : hemoglobin 12.2, ferritin 46, iron  41 and saturation 11. I'm currently taking a 27mg ferrous gluconate iron supplement. Has anyone had where their hemoglobin was normal but iron and saturation were considered low and what did you do to raise those levels?? Thank you in advance. 

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Yes. I had 2 iron infusions which took my ferritin levels to over 200. In 6 weeks. In the UK iron the range is around 7-27. I suspect your range is different and it might be useful to quote because if you are above the iron range it’s very dangerous to take iron. 
  • Posted

Hi, so your ferritin has gone from 11 to 46 in 8 months?, I used a supplement, Bisglycinate iron I took 2 capsules per day 1 morning 1 night, I opened up the capsules into about 100 mils of water with effervescent vitamin C in it and stirred it well, ferritin rose from 39 to 138 in about 8 weeks, I think your haemoglobin is the normal range now which is about 12 to 15, and your ferritin is within normal range for a female 15 to 150, vitamin C at the same time as iron makes the iron absorb much better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.