Normal labs but many symptoms of cirrhosis

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have seen a doctor for the past year for pain in the right side and back. Then I began having mid stomach pain as well and a lot of pain in the shoulder area. I have IBS so that is never normal. Last year I began having a slight yellow tinge to my eyes that never cleared up and some itchy skin. A few months ago I began breaking out with skin problems all the time. Last week I ended up in the ER with horrible pain in my stomach and back. My labs are all perfect, my ultrasound showed only the small amount of fatty liver that has been there but my CT scan showed some mild duct dilation. I am really scared and not sure where to turn. Can you have cirrhosis with normal labs? Would this mean it is not very advanced and there is some hope?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

If your ultrasound only showed fatty liver and not cirrhosis, then your issue is probably something else. Fatty liver is unlikely to cause jaundice. Yes, you can have normal blood test results, whilst still having issues, they only provide a snapshot/indication.

Jaundice is caused by a build up in the body of bilirubin. There are many things that can cause this, such as enlarged gallstones blocking the secretion of it. I am not a doctor, but at a guess, I would say that you have a biliary obstruction of some kind.

What have the doctors said that they believe is the cause of the pain and jaundice?

• Posted

I am having an endoscopy on Tuesday to try and identify the cause of pain. The jaundice has been really minimal and so they don't seem really worried about it because my blood work has always been good. I had my gallbladder removed a few years ago so I know that is not the problem. I have had some other symptoms like extreme muscle aches, loss of hair, skin problems. But my ultrasounds always only show fatty liver. This is the first CT scan that showed duct dilation.

• Posted

Good luck with the endoscopy. If you've not had one before and you have a bad gag reflex, then ask for the full sedation, as the tube is about the thickness of an index finger.

I've always had them with anaesthetic (inpatient) or full sedative (outpatient).

• Posted

I had the endoscopy and there was nothing in my esophagus such as dilation or any signs of bleeding. I take this as a good sign that if I do have liver disease it is not progressed to a critical sage yet. Is this correct? I do have an enormous amount of bile backed up in my stomach that is not draining. I have not hear anything else back. Any thoughts?

• Posted

itchy skin and jaundice could be PBC and that is tested with AMA blood test and liver biopsy, but you said your bilirubin was ok.

good your endoscopy was ok.

• Posted

did you ever get a diagnosis? I'm having some of your symptoms and im so scared! i have 4 beautiful babies and cant even deal with the thought of leaving them behind.

• Posted

Did you find out the diagnoses going the same issue

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.