normal thyroid blood test

Posted , 3 users are following.

If  my thyroid tests came back normal would that rule out piturity gland disorders xx

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

the pituitary gland controls many different organs.

the thyroid is just one of them.

so your tests only indicate how the thyroid is functioning.

if you want to know about the pituitary gland itself then you need to have what some places call a 'pituitary profile' - ie a test of the main hormones that the pituitary controls.

hope this helps

• Posted

Thank you very much for that info I realy appreciate it xx
  • Posted

I suffer a Tumor of the pituitary gland, which I was diagnosed with in 1999, I have regular blood tests one of which is a thyroid test. Each and every time it comes back as normal, even though my prolactin levels are elevated. On that basis I can only assume that it depends exactly what condition of the pituitary gland you are suffering.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Kren . what symptoms did you have before they found you had the tumor if you dont mind my asking xx
    • Posted

Hi, the symptoms I had before I was diagnosed, where mainly headaches, which would come and go, also loss of sex drive. It was also affecting my personality, but I spent years visiting my GP, had lots of blood tests and each time they returned as ok. Eventually I was given an MRI scan this is when they discovered I had a pituitary Tumor. All of my blood tests,T3, T4, testosterone where all normal, the only one to come back high was my prolactin. Even to this day I still attend hospital, have regular blood tests, and still all of the test come back as normal, the only one elevated is my prolactin, I have been medication free for three years now, but still have regular blood tests and the occasional MRI scan. Have you been diagnosed as having a Tumor on your pituitary gland ? If so how does it affect you. On one of my visits to hospital, I was told by my endocrine nurse, of a gentleman who was due to have his removed. His symptoms, he could be walking down the street, and out of know where he would just break down and cry. Even though at the begining, as I said it did change my personality at some stage, I wasn't as bad as this. Pituitary Tumors can affect people in different ways. Good luck 

• Posted

Hi Joyce, thyroid function tests wouldn't rule out all pituitary gland disorders as the thyroid function test is only testing thyroid function. There are lots of pituitary gland disorders. For pituitary function, GPs normally test TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone), sex hormones including oestrogen, progestogen, LH, FSH, testosterone, and prolactin. If prolactin is high, the GP should refer you to an endocrinologist who can then do further tests including an MRI of the pituitary gland if need be. You should just ask your GP to do a full blood count really.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply I had a CT scan and and MRI scan of my brain a couple of months ago and they said it was fine xx

• Posted

I had a scan with contrast dye aswell to look for very small tumours. Even if the gp said your thyroid function is normal it doesn't mean that isn't what's causing your symptoms as some people have subclinical hypothyroidism where the level is just outside the range but they won't treat it. There are also other thyroid function tests that GPs tend to miss out like free T3 and free T4 which are very important and can indicate thyroid dysfunction. GPs don't tend to order these tests though as they seem to think they aren't important! Although endocrinologists always test at least T3 or T4.

• Posted

Thanks for that info Sheepcoat .I have heard doctors dont always tell you if your levels are a little out I have mentioned to my GP about going to see and endocrinologist but he just didnt think it was needed but I do xx
    • Posted

You have a right to see all of your blood test results, so ask the gp secretary for a copy and see if there's anything out of range.

• Posted

i have eventually got the doc to do some blood tests for my cortisole levels 1st thing in the morning x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.