Normal TSH but elevated Thyroid Peroxidase?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

I've been struggling with fatigue, sensitivity to the cold, headaches, dry skin, and poor gut health (loosely diagnosed as IBS) for nearly two years. Finally, my doctor ordered thyroid blood tests. She said everything was normal but my THYROID PEROXIDASE was elevated and has ordered a thyroid ultrasound. I am 21, female, Grave's Disease in my family.

She was initially skeptical when I brought up Hashimoto's, but the peroxidase is elevated which said is "abnormal" and she's "concerned." She also said no one knows what causes this (genetics or viral infections) and it may not be autoimmune thyroiditis but she wants the ultrasound and also said it may cause problems down the line.

What is she investigating? Does this sound like HASHIMOTO'S? She says I don't need to go on hormones.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

sound to me you have hashimoto's but can do a scan of your thyroid to and will tell them to.

• Posted

what was your blood results be with your symptoms sound like you need more medication

• Posted

I'm not on any medication. Not sure what my exact readings were for TSH as she did not say.

• Posted

Hi, an ultrasound scan of the thyroid can be used for example to check its volume and if there are any nodules present. An enlarged thyroid could indicate some level of inflammation.

From what you wrote above, it sounds as if your thyroid hormone levels are within a normal range but your TPO antibody level is raised.

It is best to get a printout of our test results for your records. It depends a lot on the actual value of your TPO ab level. At a sufficiently high level these antibodies have the capacity to damage the thyroid gland causing Hashimoto's thyroiditis in the long run. At a minimum, given your family history, you will need regular (typically yearly) monitoring to see if your thyroid hormone levels are still adequate.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.