Normal TSH/T3/T4, but antibodies are still extremely high

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

I have been on methimazole for about 6 months now since the start of my hyperthyroid. 

My current levels:

TSH: 1.58 (0.45-4.5)

Free T4: 1.16 (0.82-1.77)

T3: 2.8 (2.0-4.4)

However, I have also been tracking my Thyroid Antibodies:

Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) Ab: > 600 (0-34)

Thyroglobulin Antibody: 38.9 (0.0-0.9)

and even more puzzling is that my Thyroglobulin Antibody is actually going up since the last time (last time was 25)

what do these extremely high antibodies mean? and how can I treat them?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

How are you feeling?  I would think the high levels of antibodies indicate a high level of inflammation.  Are you under any stress currently?  How is your diet?  Vitamin D is very important for good thyroid functioning.  My vitamin D level was deficient so I took vitamin D replacement (Vitamin D3 gel caps) as well as Magnesium which was also low.  I was diagnosed in 2007 and remained on the same dosage of Methimazole (10 mg) for 2 years until I added the supplements which allowed my doc to reduce my dosage markedly fairly quickly.  So in the period between 2009 to present, I have only required being on a very low dosage of Methimazole initially down to 2.5 mg daily and then down to 2.5 mg 3 or 4 times a week.  I think when I was able to keep my levels normal for a long period of time that my antibody levels decreased.  I know they have been non-detectable for the last two years.  My doc would measure them yearly.
    • Posted

thanks for the reply linda.  At this time, I am thinking i just haven't been on the meds for long enough of a time.

When I had hyperthyroid in my teens, i took meds for 3 years.  This time around, i have only been on it for about 6,7 months.

Are you telling me that you have been on a 2.5mg of methimazole ever since 2009?? almost 10 years???!!

• Posted

I have had a lot of adjustments in dosage, particularly of the carnitines, sometimes taking Acetyl, sometimes taking only Regular and my Methimazole going from 2.5 mg daily to 2.5 mg 3 x a week.  My doc actually said I could discontinue it when he determined my antibodies were undetectable about 2 years ago but since it was workplace stress that had triggered my Graves in the first place and I was still under stress at work, I was reluctant to stop it altogether until this April (I have since changed jobs). I felt  2.5 mg is almost like nothing and if I had to take it for the rest of my life, that was okay by me.  It has been a real journey keeping my labs where I wanted them, especially TSH.  Now off Methimazole and only occasionally taking 500 to 1000 mg of Regular L-Carnitine a few times a week, my TSH is around 1.3.
    • Posted

Wendydong ur antibodies for thyrogulbin antibodies are really high which showing u have hashimoto not graves or overactive thyroid pls consult ur endo again regarding ur antibodies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.